Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am a mac user. I've got a problem on my Painter 6.03! It cannot show any letters on the palettes so I cannot choose any command on the palettes. I've tried to reinstall but it cannot solve this problem. Please advice me if you've got this problem before!
    IP

I am a mac user. I've got a problem on my Painter 6.03! It cannot show any letters on the palettes so I cannot choose any command on the palettes. I've tried to reinstall but it cannot solve this problem. Please advice me if you've got this problem before!
    IP

Hi TLP,
    I recently had this problem when I inadvertently removed Painter's default font, which is
    Abadi MT condensed light (I think). I don't use a Mac, but I think you could start looking in this area.

Greg
    IP

Vermont, (the state that makes NH. nervous)

I had this problem a while back, on an older machine (Win95) with Painter 5, and could never figure it out. Font in Palletes was unreadable. Always thought it was the Asifont.fon (system font!?) in the Painter folder or the systemFont or applFont mentioned in the asifont.map which reads:

systemFont(0):System(Swiss)
    times(20):Times New Roman(Roman)
    helvetica(21):Arial(Modern)
    courier(22):Courier New(Modern)
    symbol(23):Symbol(Decorative)
    applFont(1):Arial(Swiss)
    newYork(2):Times New Roman(Roman)
    geneva(3):Arial(Swiss)
    monaco(4):Courier New(Modern)
    venice(5):Times New Roman(Roman)
    london(6):Times New Roman(Roman)
    athens(7):Times New Roman(Roman)
    sanFran(8):Times New Roman(Roman)
    toronto(9):Times New Roman(Roman)
    cairo(11):Wingdings(Decorative)
    losAngeles(12):Times New Roman(Roman)
    taliesin(24):Wingdings(Decorative)

Reinstalled those, and Painter to no avail. Was it Abadi MT condensed light all along?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    Don't want that to happen again.

BR...
    IP

BR,
    I am not sure but I had over 600 fonts and reduced the number to 39. I believe the only font I re-installed after the problem showed up was Abadi.
    I have been using a neat litle font management program called My Fonts to shuffle fonts around.
    If anyone is interested you can check it out at
    http://www.mytools.com/

Your post regarding Mark's news is most disturbing.I do hope that this forum does not vanish It looks like things are just starting to Jell.

Greg

[This message was edited by Monastic Bat on September 23, 2000 at 06:14 PM.]

[This message was edited by Monastic Bat on September 23, 2000 at 07:54 PM.]
    IP

TLP

I've had in the past (during reinstalls and general computer chaos situations) where there were no fonts on my P6 palettes or very unreadable ones. On my Macs Helvetica is the font that is used as the Painter default. Whenever that font disappears from the System Folders all hell breaks loose. You might want to check to see if that's installed.

stecyk66

[This message was edited by stecyk66 on September 23, 2000 at 10:00 PM.]
    IP

Thank you for all friendly advices! I've confirmed that Helvetica Font already on my mac, System Font Folder. I tried to reinstall again and again but it's still bringing on the same result, No fonts on palettes. Is it possible to change Painter 6.0 default fonts?
    Thank you.
    IP

Yep, same thing happened to me once, I accidently removed some system fonts, all the programs I use got real difficult to read the menus and such, some wouldn't open, I reinstalled windows to fix it, then set the system font attributes to read only.
    IP

Hi TLP,

What exactly did you try to install again and again? Painter? Your system fonts?

Maybe the font is corrupted. Would you be able to pull some of your inital system fonts off of your mac system disk? Can you re-install your current OS over the top of what you have now? (can they do that on a mac? would that be recommended or appropriate for a mac?)

When was the last time you used any Mac utilities to defragment your hard drive? Did you have a power outage (and not get to shut down your mac in time?) Did your mac freeze or lock up before this problem began to occur? When was the last time that this worked and what have you done since then? (did you delete or install some hardware, software, have a power outage, have a system lockup)

just some standard troubleshooting questions. . .

Athena

[This message was edited by T. Athena Hatton on September 24, 2000 at 03:11 AM.]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

TLP,
    After sleeping on this problem and what I posted in reply, I got up this AM and removed and re-installed Tahoma and Tahoma Bold from from my system (C\windows\fonts). The problem showed up when I removed the font. I misspoke when I told you Abadi was the default font for Painter. Sorry if I have caused you or BR any more problems.

Greg.
    IP