Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Ideas for a concept

I am trying to design two logos for the following concepts:

I am trying to inspire students through a website... Basically motivate them and capture their attention in joining me in my venture of establishing a community (no solid thoughts on the exact goals yet)... Any ideas for the same? I'm looking for a concept that need not depend on the community's goals itself...

I have thought of something but I don't have Xara in this computer so I'll get back with something in a few hours... My idea was something like: a small dot (in a dominant color) on a large colored background... and then ask a question: "Do you see the dot or the background?" And somehow emphasize on the background that the opportunities are vast and its your decision that builds a new world for you...

If the concept is sad, pardon me. I'm always open for new ideas...

Default Re: Ideas for a concept

I think if your community idea is still in formation, you'd be better off waiting until you had decided on that rather than have a logo that doesn't represent the community.

What about a small sphere in the bottom left hand corner and the rest of the space made up of hundreds of duller spheres.
    True love is the ultimate truth

Quote Originally Posted by purifier View Post
    "Do you see the dot or the background?"
    If the concept is sad, pardon me. I'm always open for new ideas...
    Not a sad concept to me. The dot on the sheet of paper was something I used a number of times in the past which started when my son became obsessed with the (minor) errors he was making when he was trying to accomplish something. It was spoiling his enjoyment and learning experience as he was heading down the 'perfectionist' path of continued disatisfaction.

I found this 'refocus your awareness' technique helped him a lot and now he is less hung-up on everything having to be 100% perfect.
    "The closer you get to perfection the easier it is to see how far from it you really are"

Perhaps in a more dramatic visual sense, the dot/speck/mote can be used to intentionally spoil an otherwise (almost) perfect scene which invites the viewer to explore and discover. Using the dot as a reason not to go further is like an excuse not to try. 'Get over it' and enjoy the better part of reality

(Yep, been there done that )

Thank you all for your inputs and thanks for the valuable suggestions sledger... I am still trying to do something with it... As far as you know, is there a tutorial somewhere that shows how to draw a pencil writing some text sort of a drawing? (not an animation but something like I've just finished writing some word with a pencil)

Purifier

Hi. Do you mean something like this ?

Sammy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pencil.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	50601  

Not much good at tutorials (still learning myself ), but here is roughly how I created it (if that is what you've been asking).

1) Select the Quick Shape tool and draw a 6 sided shape.
    2) Select the Extrude Tool (3D Tool) and extrude the shape.
    3) Adjust the lights on the 3D shape and alocate appropriate colours to the lights. This will colourise the sides of the pencil. Flip the shape L or R / U or D, or Rotate it to get the correct writing angle.
    4) Select the Shape Editor Tool and draw a triangle shape same width as the pencil. This will be the bottom part of the pencil. Adjust the shape so it looks like the sharpened end of a pencil.
    5) Fill the shape with a Wood effect. Clone it (Cntrl K). Apply a darker colour to the Clone and then apply a Linear Transperency to give it a 3D effect. Group (Cntrl G) those two shapes.
    6) Draw a smaller triangle (for the lead part). Apply a darkish grey colour.
    7) Assemble all the shapes in their relevent positions and group them together and Export as Jpeg.

That should do it.
    Hope it makes sense

Sammy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pencil2.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	50602  

i think Gary has a tut on this in the Xone.... I remember an envelope and pen one, and and one with a desktop.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

You really need to learn how to use Google John
    If you are going to mention help and tutorials, try to include a link.
    Else your post is a waste of time.

Pencil by Josè Campoy

An Important Letter by Gary Priester

I know they exist, and where to find them. I just don't have the time to find it for them. Sorry... My forum time is limited as is, and I would spend much more time here if I had to do all the work for folks.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook