Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara on openSUSE 11

Hello and welcome.

I have installed on PC openSUSE 11 and KDE 4. I tried to install xara from openSUSE repositories and installation was OK.
    But when I try to launch this soft I can't see any screen, only my mouse get an icon that xara is starting. After 2 minutes this icon disappears and I can see that there is not xara.
    IP

Default Re: Xara on openSUSE 11

Press Alt+F2 and write konsole in the window that pops up, then press enter. In konsole write the path to xaralx executable (ie. ~/xaralx/bin/xaralx) or just xaralx (depending on how you installed), and press enter. Post the output here (you can copy&paste from konsole) and maybe someone will be able to help you.
    IP

Ok I have done what you wrote here so Alt+ F2 and then in pop up I wrote xaralx and put Enter. But there wasn't any output
    IP

I think you may need to follow con's instructions a little more carefully - "Press Alt+F2 and write konsole in the window that pops up, then press enter. In konsole write the path to xaralx executable"
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

hi ss-kalm

Thank you for your response. You were right I should read it more carefully, sorry. So I have done it as Con wrote but still have problem. This is a nobe question: Where the executable file of xara should be located ? In which directory?
    At this time I got from console:
    adam@linux-agbx:~> ~/xaralx/bin/xaralx
    bash: /home/adam/xaralx/bin/xaralx: Nie ma takiego pliku ani katalogu (There is no file or directory)
    adam@linux-agbx:~> xaralx
    bash: xaralx: command not found
    Any ideas?
    IP

try 'sh xaralx/bin/xaralx' without the ' in your home folder

to make it more clear:
    first type
    Code:
    cd
    and then press enter (to make sure you're in home). Then type
    Code:
    sh xaralx/bin/xaralx
    xaralx is not a bash script so above wont work, sorry for wasting your time
    press enter. If this is where you installed xaralx, it should open.
    And since you installed from repos its not installed in your home folder so none of what I've posted so far will help at all...sorry my bad.
    Last edited by con; 11 July 2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Wanted to make the post clearer
    IP

Ask if you need more help
    IP

Re-read your first post and now I see you installed from repos. Apparently xaralx installed to a place not in your $PATH (where bash looks for executables). See if you can find in the package manager where it installed xaralx. And use that path on the commandline.
    Last edited by con; 11 July 2008 at 04:29 PM.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by enjoy777 View Post
    Hello and welcome.

I have installed on PC openSUSE 11 and KDE 4. I tried to install xara from openSUSE repositories and installation was OK.
    But when I try to launch this soft I can't see any screen, only my mouse get an icon that xara is starting. After 2 minutes this icon disappears and I can see that there is not xara.
    I just opened second session in KDE4, and started Xara from menu and konsole, and everything looks fine. Few error messages are the same in KDE3 and 4.
    (xara:3745): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_get_origin: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed
    To see what is wrong use as advised Konsole and type in:
    Code:
      xara
    and post output here.

I normally use KDE3 that is installed together with KDE4 Beta 2, so it works in Beta 2. The Beta 2 is in openSUSE repositories:
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_11.0/

Though, if you are not experienced Linux user install KDE3 and set it as default login for now.
    IP

Thank you for your answers.
    I change my opensuse 11 on ubuntu and I have no problmes with xara, everything works ok. I don't change system only for xara I had problems with sound card in my comp. So ubuntu recognize it without any problems and now I have sound and xara

Where can I find some good tutorials for xara?
    IP