Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question making your point a cusp

Hello! I hope someone can help me. I normally use CorelDraw 12. I am at a lost when I have to edit something in Illustor. I cannot find out how to make my points cusps so I can edit each handle individually. PLease help me. Thanks, Autumn
    IP

Default Re: making your point a cusp

You'd click on the point with the Convert Anchor Point tool. It's on the same tool flyout as the pen tool and it looks like an upside-down "V".

Hope that helped!
    IP

Thank you for your help!
    IP

I found out another way to make a corner point while drawing with the pen tool. Hold down the Alt key while you draw and you can move the handle independently.

I'm just learning Illustrator, too.
    IP

I wish I wish people would press F1 now and again. It makes things very simple and it even gives you pictures which is more than you get here,

Use the Direct Selection tool Direct Selection tool or the Lasso tool Lasso tool to select the path you want to modify.

Tip iconTo temporarily switch to the Convert Anchor Point tool while the Pen tool is selected, hold down Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac OS).
    Select the Convert Anchor Point tool.
    Position the Convert Anchor Point tool over the anchor point you want to convert, and do one of the following:

To convert a corner point to a smooth point, drag a direction point out of the corner point.

Dragging a direction point out of a corner point to create a smooth point
    Dragging a direction point out of a corner point to create a smooth point

To convert a smooth point to a corner point without direction lines, click the smooth point.

Clicking a smooth point to create a corner point
    Clicking a smooth point to create a corner point

To convert a corner point without direction lines to a corner point with independent direction lines, first drag a direction point out of a corner point (making it a smooth point with direction lines). Release the mouse button only (don't release any keys you may have pressed to activate the Convert anchor point tool), and then drag either direction point.
    To convert a smooth point to a corner point with independent direction lines, drag either direction point.

Converting a smooth point to a corner point
    Converting a smooth point to a corner point
    Last edited by Albacore; 07 July 2008 at 06:52 PM. Reason: No pictures
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP