Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Transparency

Default Transparency

I got yet another question about transparency.. i moved on to some more fantasy like pictures, so i can do some major changes, unlike the family photos

Now, i have this daemon standing, and its wings I would like to be transparant. How do I do this ? I tried cutting them out using point to point, and then go under properties, but i cant make the background + the human in the background be seeable thro the wing.. It just stays non transparent.

-

Also, i read something about transparent pictures not being able to load on the internet, unless they were in... gif format? - > Explain :P

2A second thing is shadows.. How do i make a shadow in a part of the picture, that "shadows" every layer in the picture.
    Last edited by Weedcow; 20 June 2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: 2nd question ; )
    IP

Default Re: Transparency

Not really sure what you are trying to do but you could put the wings on a new layer in PSP on top of the background then reduce the opacity of the wings to see through.

You can put transparent png files on the internet. Some browsers don't display the transparency, but there are "fixes" that can be added to the web page code that allow the browser to display them correctly. Transparent gifs aren't used that often anymore from what I have seen.

Is it possible to provide an example of what you are trying to do? That would be helpful. Thanks

The only thing I could suggest would be the drop shadow effect for your shadows. It is under the Effects button then the 3D Effects button.
    Joe
    IP

I'll see if i can post it....

I'm making this fantasy picture for my friend, got the inspiration from the video game World of Warcraft, since its - fantasy like.

The demon-person infront (the lady with the wings), stands infront of that demon with the whip. I would like these huge wings to become transparant, so that you can see the demon in the background, (and perhaps some of the flames). It would make it quite cool, to get the effect of some "thin" wings.

The shadows that i'm talking about, is because i would like to be the entire right -down part to be darker than the rest of the picture. I could use the "lights", but then i would get a light point in the top of the picture, which i don't want.

Also, is it possible to make a smoke like effect, from some of the flames for instance?

If you have any other ideas to improve this picture, please share them aswell :P -> I'm still learning, and i know like 1% of PSPs capability.
    I'm just using the picture as a testing ground, and I have no use of it, so the more effects the better !

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fyrstinden.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	49989  
    Last edited by Weedcow; 21 June 2008 at 11:05 AM.
    IP

I think you can do that by using layers. You can have a layer for the background flames. Then create a layer for just the smaller image with the whip. Then a layer for the wings which you can change the opacity on and then a layer for the larger body. When complete you can merge the layers together but I would suggest keeping a copy (a .psp file) of them as separate layers so they can each be editted separate from each other if necessary.

Here are a couple of tutorial links that may help with the transparency and the smoke you want.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Semi-Tra...Paint-Shop-Pro

http://www.designertoday.com/Tutoria....Tutorial.aspx

Hope they help.
    Joe
    IP