Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Loading Webstyle4 into Vista Ultimate appears to be a mess!

I am having huge problems migrating Webstyle4 to my new Vista Ultimate machine

I have downloaded the latest version of wstyle4dl and installed it with administrator privileges. I also downloaded the Dreamweaver extension software (I have DW CS3 installed on my machine).

I then tried running the program again with administrator privileges and got a message "You will need t reboot before you can use all the features of Webstyle 4" I rebooted several times and each time got the same message!!! So I then went to the XARA FAQ's and downloaded and installed all the various combinations of the SOAP and XML4b.msi files that they recommend under the heading "I am constantly asked to reboot Webstyle".

This is a short synopsis of the trouble I have been through with this program - I have wasted at least 7 or 8 hours to achieve nothing.

Please can some kind person send a clear unambiguous working method to resolve this issue, or is Webstyle4 defunct on Vista machines?

I have read a number of posts in this forum and am amazed by the randomness of these problems, sometimes it appears to work no problem at all am other times it seems to be a complete nightmare. I have never known such flaky software, a commercial product should work 'out of the box' otherwise it is not fit for purpose. I want WS4 to save me time and effort, so far it has just been an extravagant waste of time!

Kind regards and please please please help me

Martin Deady

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate
    Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name MARTIN-LAPTOP
    System Manufacturer Intel Corporation
    System Model Crestline & ICH8M Chipset
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7800 @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies LTD R1.03, 02/08/2007
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
    Locale United Kingdom
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6000.16407"
    User Name Martin-laptop\Martin
    Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
    Total Physical Memory 3,069.63 MB
    Available Physical Memory 1.61 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 6.08 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 4.75 GB
    Page File Space 3.29 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Default Re: Loding Webstyle4 into Vista Ultimate appears to be a mess!

Hello Martin,

Vista uses very strict security compared with Windows XP.

You must use the Run as Administrator option of a right click pop-up menu to run Webstyle 4's installer. Do not let the CD execute AutoRun. Use Windows Explorer (or My Computer) to view the root folder of the CD. Right click RunCD.exe. Select Run as Administrator.

After the install is complete right click the Webstyle desktop icon and from the pop-up menu select Run as Administrator. You only need to do this the first type you run Webstyle.

FYI: I have installed every Xara program on Vista since Beta 1 was released over 2 years ago. Never had a problem installing or running any of Xara's programs on Vista.
    Last edited by Soquili; 22 June 2008 at 01:26 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Re: Loading Webstyle4 into Vista Ultimate appears to be a mess!

Thank you Soquili,

Unfortunately that is exactly what I have done, I have tried several times and prior to each load I have unistalled the program and rebooted so as to start with a clean machine and each time I right click the wbstl4dl.exe file and select administrator privileges the program loads apparently OK I then right click the destop icon and again choose administarator priviledges but I still get the reboot message which recurs even after I have rebooted!

I do have Comodo installed and have assigned wbstl4dl.exe as a trusted program. I think I will try shutting down Comodo and reloading to see if that makes a difference.

I have XARA Extreme Pro 4 and that loaded fine - no problems.

Thanks again

Martin

Default Re: Loading Webstyle4 into Vista Ultimate appears to be a mess!

Quote Originally Posted by Riftvalley View Post
    I have never known such flaky software, a commercial product should work 'out of the box' otherwise it is not fit for purpose.
    Well, as Bill mentioned, WS4 was not written for the Windows Vista platform.
    Any problems you encounter with older software written to run on earlier operating systems is unfortunate but to be fair, it is not a fault.
    Xtreme 4 runs fine because it was created and coded to run on Vista.

You say you've tried the Run as Administrator route, have you also tried to run in Compatibility mode for Windows XP?

Aside from COMODO, do you have any other software which is protecting the Windows Registry?