Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: How much longer do you cater for the 800 x 600 screen resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I'm just narrowing the browser window until the horizontal scroll bar appears. Alt-Print Screen.

Paste into XX and measure the window width.
    Like this 627 pix wide pic??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	likethis.png 
Views:	250 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	51749

It's going to depend on a bit more than that I think Egg.

Yes your correct Steve, with TG it depends on the image width on the page. So it is possible to reduce a text only screen to quite a narrow window. But that doesn't negate the question. Images are as much part of web sites as text.

Try the same excercise with BBC, CNN or Ebay web sites. They are made to be between 850 to 1026 pixels wide. In otherwords they've abandoned the 800 (770) pixel width limitation in favour of more screen real estate for nav bars etc.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

As far as I can see most designers don't even design with a minimum page size in mind.

The software adjusts the webpage to 100%. The minimum page width is then set to the width of the biggest graphic. And in a lot of cases that's just been inserted at a size that was convenient.

Personally I prefer to limit all my graphics to a maximum of 500 pixels wide.
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 05 September 2008 at 01:24 PM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Hi all,

to me, the 800x600 resolution is out, though there are users still on it, in general it's a thing of the past.

having said that, it really boils down to who your target audience is.

My Company develop websites for people, and we generally keep a 960x600 basic dimension for any site with fixed width & height, and 960px x any-height for a non fixed height site. However, if you know that your audience is all going to be reading your site say on a 640x480 screen, then, by all means design your site to that, because those are who your site should be talking to anyway.

we develop Intranet & Internet application for our clients too. here, since its in an controlled environment, and we get to supply/specify the specification in which our application best (or in most cases, will only) work in, we go to which ever size that is required to get the job done.

one thing we do have to remember, the sites we do is for our reader/audiences, that's all it matters.

=)

NgeeJee.