Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Today is Download Day

The percentage of the population would have been an interesting stat also... Having a quick peek at the highest download countries in the Western World -- it all seems to be around 1% of the population. Gerrmany is a bit higher and the UK a bit lower.

Granted, the total "population" is not browsing the Web...

Here's one of many (but a quite reliable) stats pages: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

FF is coming along nicely and I'm sure ole' Bill is sweating a bit.

Risto
    Last edited by RTK; 20 June 2008 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Some spelling

Interesting that so many people are still using IE6, indicating, I suppose, that most people just stick with what they're given when they buy their computer. Some choose not to 'upgrade' to IE7, most are just not up to speed on different browsers, or just can't be bothered ... know plenty of them so try to spread the FF word! I only use IE7 when updating windows (and with the Fox's IE Tab that's just as easy!) or when a program insists on using it.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

A related FF question:

I only use IE to open local htm files on my computer. I can then open the source file and edit the html directly and save it. This avoids opening Dreamweaver etc just to alter one line of code.

I can't find a way to do this in FF (my default browser) as it won't allow me to edit the source file.

Anyone now how this can be done in FF?
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Yes Egg.
    Type 'about:config' in FF address bar, find the two source editor lines as shown in the screenshot and edit them similarly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ff_source_edit.png 
Views:	201 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	49979  

Hi Steve and thanks for the prompt reply. I'm off to bed so I'm not really going to go into this in depth but it seems extremely complicated !!!

I'm not 100% sure you're with me. Say I open an html file from my local computer in IE and then view source. Say for example in the title tag I'd misspelt "Apple" as "Aple". In IE source code I just look for the title tag and correct the spelling and save the source code. If I refresh IE the changed spelling is now corrected.

Do I need to jump all these hoops in FF to achieve the same results?

Hope I'm making myself clear.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by neodeist View Post
    Interesting that so many people are still using IE6, indicating, I suppose, that most people just stick with what they're given when they buy their computer. Some choose not to 'upgrade' to IE7, most are just not up to speed on different browsers, or just can't be bothered...
    Well, if it does the work required -- why switch? Time = Knowledge = Web savyness = FF eventually. The "eventually" is coming along quickly according to most/any stats.

Risto

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi Steve and thanks for the prompt reply. I'm off to bed so I'm not really going to go into this in depth but it seems extremely complicated !!!

I'm not 100% sure you're with me. Say I open an html file from my local computer in IE and then view source. Say for example in the title tag I'd misspelt "Apple" as "Aple". In IE source code I just look for the title tag and correct the spelling and save the source code. If I refresh IE the changed spelling is now corrected.

Do I need to jump all these hoops in FF to achieve the same results?

Hope I'm making myself clear.
    Yes Egg, after making the (relatively) simple edit to the FF config as described, opening a htm file from your HDD in Firefox and then selecting View>>Page Source (Ctrl+U) will open the editor you specified in the about:config
    You can then make changes to the source, save and refresh FF to see the change.

In other words, it will allow the same thing as IE

Ah! it's much easier to follow after a nights sleep. Got it working now thanks Steve. I also liked the FF warning message on entering "about:config"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gif.gif 
Views:	200 
Size:	5.3 KB 
ID:	49985  
    Egg

Hi Egg,

there are also tons of Plugins available, which brings sunshine to a Webdesigner/-developer heart. Type in "firefox plugins" in the address bar (only these two words, not necessary to type in a complete URL) and you will get the Firefox Plugins website.

see also:

Regards,
    Remi

Cheers Remi, I'll look at them tomorrow.
    Egg