Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Can't export as website...

Quote Originally Posted by Soporose View Post
    Puzzled though as to why Steve is not similarly affected.
    Have you used the newer HTMLfilter.dll yet?

Sorry strike that. I missed what you wrote before you'd quoted Keiths post.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 18 June 2008 at 05:43 AM.

I've tracked down my problem and its related to what Xara declares to be an illegal pathname, even though the pathname/filename is perfectly legal for Windows.
    Out of interest, and in the hope of shedding more light - can you please show us the full path of the folder in question?

Is Xara just being "big brother" and trying to forcibly protect me from using a path that wouldn't be legal as a URL?
    I seriously doubt that to be the case. The name of the containing folder on your local drive is not necessarily going to be the name of the folder on the remote server. In most cases, the site being created is likely to be the default site for your domain, so the files will not be in any folder at all, they'd simply be in the root of 'public_html'.
    Xara would not be second guessing here.

Untill I see your full path I can't think of any reason why a folder name which is allowed by the OS is being rejected when you try to export.

Note that when you export, if you call the htm file phun, then the subfolder for the site resources (images, .js and .css) is automatically named phun.htm_files. This is more likely where the error is cropping up.
    Unless there is some weird keyboard mapping error happening on your machine which is resulting in an illegal character, there's no reason why naming your export to red would result in the creation of an illegally named resource folder (red.htm_files)

EXAMPLE #1

I had no problems with a previous project which was exported to this location:

D:\Website Development\Websites (Dreamweaver)\WebsiteName\
    Filename: dsc.htm

The brackets were not a problem, nor should they be.

EXAMPLE #2

I cannot export to this location (note the apostrophe):

D:\Website Development\Websites (Dreamweaver)\website's name\Test\
    Filename: members.htm

EXAMPLE #3

I can successfully export to this location:

D:\Website Development\Websites (Dreamweaver)\Test\

EXAMPLE #4

I can also successfully export to this location, thus eliminating the "too deep" possibility:

D:\Website Development\Websites (Dreamweaver)\Test\Test\

It certainly looks like the apostrophe is the culprit, so how are you getting away with it?

[QUOTE=Soporose;262518]
    But on a PC running Windows, which is where we are trying to save our files, Windows convention is all that matters.
    QUOTE]

Until you decide to publish it to your Web site, of course, which would presumably be the point of producing an HTML file. The apostrophe is a disallowed character in xNix filenames, as is the space, which Windows also accepts as readily as the apostrophe.

I don't use XX as a Web editor, so I won't pretend to know for sure what the rationale for preventing such a save might be. OTOH, when using my other development tools, I don't tempt fate by using file names for files destined for Web use that are incompatible with the vast majority of servers through which an HTTP response must pass. Call me chicken

YMMV...

cheers,
    paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    The apostrophe is a disallowed character in xNix filenames, as is the space
    Er, not really. The only disallowed printable character in Unix/Posix/Linux filenames is the directory separator '/'. You can certainly use spaces and apostrophes, though if you are trying to reference them from the command line you may need to use escaping or put quotes around the filename.

It may not be a great idea to use them in actual URLs, as they'll have to be escaped to eg. %20, which doesn't look as nice. But it'll work fine.

Just letting everybody know where things are at. Thanks to John I can now export as web file. My user name was set up with an apostrophe when I bought the machine and since I am not familiar with win xp I did not realize that it would have an affect.

This morning I also got the space bar to the way it used to be which makes me a very happy camper. Not being negative I hope, but I really don't understand why xara is not taking care of this, instead of leaving it to Bill to create a work around.

Anyway, everything I needed has been taken care of so many, many thanks to all..............frank

It certainly looks like the apostrophe is the culprit, so how are you getting away with it?
    Well I think I'm getting away with it because I'm using the latest HTMLfilter.dll while you somehow are probably not.
    I recreated your file path in XPPro and Vista Ultimate (see screenshots), I can export from Xtreme in both cases without an error.

Look at the source of an index.htm you have created and check which version of the export filter Xtreme is using.
    If you have the correct version, it should read:

<meta name="Generator" content="Xara HTML filter v.1.1.0.337"/>
    If it doesn't, then you are not using the filter John has supplied which fixes this.
    Please completely remove your current HTMLfilter.dll and replace it with Johns latest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	189 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	49954   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	allowableundervista.png 
Views:	188 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	49955  

Last edited by steve.ledger; 18 June 2008 at 09:57 PM.

Ah ha!

Analysing the DLL file with a hex editor reveals:
    Code:
    <meta name="Generator" content="Xara HTML filter v.1.1.0.321 Experimental"/>
    Which of course is earlier than yours, but that's the file from the zip you pointed me to.

The original from my CD installation was:
    Code:
    <meta name="Generator" content="Xara HTML filter v.1.1.0.301"/>

**Removed in lue of stable version
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 21 June 2008 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobInce View Post
    Er, not really. The only disallowed printable character in Unix/Posix/Linux filenames is the directory separator '/'. You can certainly use spaces and apostrophes, though if you are trying to reference them from the command line you may need to use escaping or put quotes around the filename.

It may not be a great idea to use them in actual URLs, as they'll have to be escaped to eg. %20, which doesn't look as nice. But it'll work fine.
    Yep, sorry, you're right. I was thinking about the shell and scripting languages where they can be escaped with \'. I think there may be some languages where an apostrophe is escaped by preceding it with another. Not real up on scripting languages other than vbscript and javascript, to be completely honest (or xNix either, other than playing with a Mandrake distro a good while back). :-)

cheers,
    paladin