Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default June 15 in the Xara Xone - THE LIVE EFFECTS TOOL - FREE!

The June 15 Xara Xone

Workbook #70 THE LIVE EFFECTS TOOL IN DEPTH

Does anybody know what Chromatic Aberration is or does?

And what do you use the Deinterlace Filter for?

I really don't know that's why I'm asking. The Help file was not very helpful with a lot of these filters and I had to do a lot of guessing!

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	june-15-xone-promo.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	49876  

Default Re: June 15 in the Xara Xone - THE LIVE EFFECTS TOOL - FREE!

That article was very helpful, Gary, especially the part about the difference between the bitmap shadow and feathering and the shadow tool and feathering slider.

I have only been using the effects on bitmaps, but I'll have to try some of them on vector objects. I thought that using them on vectors would turn them into rasters, so I avoided trying that.

About chromatic aberration - I've heard that term in conjunction with photography. Some digital cameras have a tendency to create purple fringes around the edges of very fine details in a photo. My guess is that the CA filter may help eliminate the fringe by slightly blurring the image. However, I don't have any pictures with the purple fringe to test it on right now.

Thanks Gary You must have the patience of a saint, there's so many variables on some of these! Not to mention things like 'unsharpen' meaning 'sharpen'

Re: Chromatic Abberation - though we can ignore Photoshop fixes bit now
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

I've played with this and it looks more like a tool for putting the fringe in rather than taking it out, or for using a 'refraction' effect to 'defocus' the image - but I'm probably doing it all wrong.....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks again Gary for your work

Anyone who uses high-end dcams will know all about CA/PF.
    I say high-end, as such users will likely be more 'into cameras and photography' than your average point'n'shooter and therefore be buying better cameras where CA/PF will be an important factor when they buy equipment. This and sensor noise are what shopping for a camera is all about (and of course aesthetics, it can't be ugly now can it
    Shopping for a dcam based soley on the megapixel count should be well down the list. That's manufacturers marketting simply trying to sell you their current camera model.

Aside from Johns link, WIKI explains more about this phenomenon.
    Unfortunately, I do not accept that Xtreme has any professional, or even intermediate photo tools. What is does have are usefull for on the fly minor adjustments to photos already edited in external software. I can't regard Xtreme as a professional or even intermediate photo editor. This doesn't disappoint me as I don't think it's trying to be (if it were even partially trying, it would not destroy EXIF data for one thing) - it's just a matter of knowing what is acheivable (or not).

ah the link to wiki I gave in Gary's other thread of this topic
    such a pain to have this split across two posts... but there you go
    Last edited by handrawn; 15 June 2008 at 08:35 PM. Reason: clarify
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I would imagine the Deinterlace Filter would be used with video Capture, although I have yet to experiment with it myself. Video is actually made by drawing the image twice. I forget which is drawn first, but it is either the odd or the even lines. The sweep rate (horizontal refresh rate) can thus be much slower. If a video was drawn each line one at a time the top would start to fade before the bottom was drawn. Anybody else have a better explanation?
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook