Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Will you switch to Xara X when it is released in September?
    IP

Will you switch to Xara X when it is released in September?
    IP

Michael

That's a very unfair poll [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Xara is without question the premier artistic illustration tool.

If my job solely involved creating beautiful artistic creations (which I can't BTW), I would have bought it long ago.

Sure there are many cross over similarities with in the products, and on nearly every occasion where features to cross over Xara does it better, quicker and easier (is it bionic?)

But Draw has certain inherent features that Xara cannot at this stage match.

Automation via scripts and VBA.

Paragraph text handling.

Comprehensive support for almost every graphics format that I have come across.

If I was creating 'content' alone, then it would be Xara.

But I, like a lot of Draw users have to manage many different graphical sources and produce an overall finished product, 'cradle to grave' as it were.

At this stage I don't reckon I could 'switch' to Xara, I might be able to use it side by side, but never switch.

So if I was to answer your poll that leaves

I'd rather by a new PC every year (makes me sound like I've money to burn and isn't strictly a true question)

What's Xara (makes me sound ignorant)

I use a Mac (Makes me sound like an idiot (sorry I just had to type that)).

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP

Hi Peter,

Although I'm not your Xara "power user", it does have many nice features. So much so that CorelDRAW incorporated "Xara-llke" features back when CorelDRAW 7 was released (interactivity), and I can see the advantages gained.

Thus, hand-in-hand, CorelDRAW/Xara, I feel, make a good team. In some cases, each has advantages over the other. In a sense, it is no different than when one uses Photoshop/PhotoPaint and CorelDRAW (or you program of choice) together to "accomplish the mission". Draw can't do it alone and PS/PP can't do it alone either. The same would apply to CD/Xara I would imagine.

Now to the survey... a microtad slanted I'd say. There was no provision for any type of "options"... it is either/or. And limited to boot.

My feeling about Macs... as long as the final product interfaces with my PC-based software, fine with me. To each his and/or her own I say.

Y'all have a good one!

Gary G. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    IP

Gary

>Thus, hand-in-hand, CorelDRAW/Xara, I feel, make
    >a good team. In some cases, each has advantages
    >over the other. In a sense, it is no different
    >than when one uses Photoshop/PhotoPaint and
    >CorelDRAW (or you program of choice) together
    >to "accomplish the mission". Draw can't do it >alone and PS/PP can't do it alone either. The
    >same would apply to CD/Xara I would imagine.

Absolutely, I use Corel Draw, Paint, Ventura
    Adobe Acrobat / Autodesk View (when Draw's Autocad import filter isn't good enough) I even use Kai's Photosoap because I absolutely adore the cloneing tools.

The point I hope I got across was that if I had some creative artistic bent, I would consider Xara as a partner to the above tools.

I have evaluated the product at each major version when the demo was available. I just couldn't justify it's purchase based on the type of work I do.

This of course may change with the release of Xara X, I always lurk on the Xara forums if only to see the remarkable artistic stuff that is produced and what is in the pipeline.

As for my last comment, I don't really hate Mac's, to be honest I've never used one on a professional level, it's just that in my experience when dealing with other people who use Mac's sometimes they don't understand or more accurately don't want to understand the 'nitty gritty' of your file conversion / printing problems.

Thanks for the reply

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP

Hi Peter,

When I said "to each his and/or her own" concerning Macs, one thing I didn't bring up... I'm not a Mac fan, either. I think it was John Dvorak's article, "The Problem with APPLE", a few years back, who dubbed Mac users as evolved Amiga users. John said that... not me!!!

Anyway, to be quite honest, each platform his it's own pluses and minuses. I have run across a holier than thou attitude, a real turn off, from SOME Mac users, and that has a tendancy to give the "good guy" Mac users an unwarranted black eye.

Me, I prefer a steeper learning curve when it comes to an operating system. That usually spells out the fact that you have more system control, unlike an Apple.

Now in regards to the transparent, glittery, sans floppy (which DOES become a real problem), i-Mac and G series syndrome... DISCO! Need I say more.

Well, I don't want to start a range war with anyone out there, so I'll put a lid on it. I have been in this business for MANY years, and I've seen them and done them all, so I guess it's fair for me to say I can put my money where my mouth is.

Have a good one,

Gary [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    IP