Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Exporting HTML error

I'm exporting a web page in HTML but get an error message:

"Failed to export to C:\Documents and Settings\ . . . [page name].htm_files\484png. The file may be locked or open in another application."

I get this error message twice, the first time it's for a png graphic in the page file folder (as quoted above) and when I "O.K." this I get a second which is the same but for the HTML page (ending in: "C:\Documents and Settings\. . . [page name].htm). Any idea what this is all about?
    Last edited by charliescoffee; 10 June 2008 at 11:42 PM.

Default Re: Exporting HTML error

same here

Remi, Thanks, I did look to see if I could find a similar problem but missed this one. I'll try what was suggested. lf.d

I tried using scandisk as suggested. It came back with no errors on the disk. I defragmented just a few days ago. So, I rebooted, tried exporting a Xara page that I previously exported successfully last week and it worked. I then exported that page to my web site mirror file using the name I'm going to use for the new page, also successful. I then tried again to export the problem page, clicked to replace the now existing page of the same name (but different content) but I got the same error messages. It seems to me that the problem has to be with the new document. I'll attach it in case that will be useful for someone.

Just to recap, when I try to export this page, I get an error that it can't export because: "The file may be locked or open in another application."

Also, pls. note that I'm just trying to put this page up to see what it looks like and to get more practice with the process. None of the links work yet, and I haven't finished the buttons (only one state is shown) or the top banner. The page on the web site (http://californiaprintmakers.com/Mon...onday_page.htm) is the other page I did using Xara, the one that worked. My plan is to rebuild the whole site with Xara (assuming I can get everything to work).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by charliescoffee; 11 June 2008 at 02:18 AM.

I suggest you download and install Unlocker

Then when the error shows again, go to the folder concerned, right-click and choose 'Unlocker'. This will show you what is locking the folder. If no locking handles are found, open the folder and find the .png or htm file which is locked, right-click and choose 'unlocker', again it will show you what is locking the file and give you the opportunity to unlock it..

No, don't go with scandisk or file unlockers. It is a bug which is already fixed. Please wait for the next update it will work fine.
    This bug was also discussed in this thread http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=33348 .
    Currently you have to reduce the number of exported images in your site. The name of the 'locked' file is the maximum number you can get (roughly).
    Sorry for the trouble. Hope the next update will satisfying for you.

Good luck!
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    The name of the 'locked' file is the maximum number you can get (roughly).
    Roughly the maximum?
    So the number of exported objects is variable before the bug bites?
    That may be a bit of trial and error to arrive at the best file reduction or image grouping in order to export without problems?

It is a bug which is already fixed. Please wait for the next update it will work fine.
    Waiting for the next update seem to get mentioned quite frequently - I do hope Charles or Neil can announce this soon. A lot of users will, apparently, be helped by this.

Thanks for your info John

So the number of exported objects is variable before the bug bites?
    Yes.
    in order to export without problems?
    Only update guarraties this. In practice, it's usually about 80 images that upsets that vermin in the available version.
    John.