Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy giving up, asking for refund

My Xara 3D still will not allow an export in any graphics format. I've emailed Xara several times with no response. I've uninstalled, re-installed, tried different images - saved, new, etc - with no luck. It exports animations but not the still images. I figured if I could talk to tech support, we could figure it out since it seems to me that the dll that handles the export is split between still and animations. This is only an assumption on my part but I can't confirm or deny it since Xara support won't contact me.

I have the entire Graphic Studio but only really needed the 3d portion. I've asked Xara for a refund on the entire program.

<sigh>

marse

Default Re: giving up, asking for refund

in your other thread on the subject you say that you have successfully used the program once before...

I looked at the current file too, but had nothing to add to what Egg said at the time..

does the rest of the suite work ok?

xara are a small company - their support may not always be fast, but it is usually good in my experience
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yeah, my apologies for saying that I used it before successfully. I did but it was "micky mouse".

I'm normally in a production environment when I'm doing stuff - these are tools for me that have to work. If they don't and I need them, I usually try to find workarounds since I can't be down.

What I did, I believe, last time is what I did this time - I exported the image out as an animated gif (which always seems to function). Once done, I dropped it into Photoshop 7 and edited it as a static format since PS 7 doesn't do animated gifs and will edit the image as if it was a normal gif. (I know about Image Ready - not necessary since PS 7 will do the static image and that's all I needed). I don't want to use the program this way - that's not the way it was designed and not what was promised. I like working in PNG - can't do with 3d not exporting anything but animations.

Trust me, I understand tech support having done it for a time. Xara is not responding. Period. All I want is a resolution - I've been forced into asking for a refund because I can't get any other satisfaction.

I'm happy that your experience with them has been positive. Mine, so far, has not.

marse
    Last edited by marse; 05 June 2008 at 05:51 PM.

ok

whatever is causing it I hope you get it sorted
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Marse, sorry to hear of your experience. I'm at a total loss to understand why your installation won't export static png's. It's not a problem I've ever experienced nor can I remember seeing mentioned on this forum.

I attach a very simple x3d file. Can you try exporting this as a static png?

EDIT: Deleted previous attachment as it was corrupted and attached a new one. Egg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 07 June 2008 at 02:22 AM.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg,

Thanks. When I tried to open it directly from your message, a window popped up saying it wasn't a valid x3d file. When I saved it to my desktop and tried to open it from there, Xara 3D opens partially and then just crashes.

And this is a new installation of X3d - just uninstalled and re-installed this a.m.

marse

Marse what OS are you running?

What other applications were open when you performed the uninstall and reinstall? I would suggest closing any apps before doing the uninstall and performing a reboot before reinstalling.

Have your turned off System Restore (if you are on XP or Vista OS) before doing the uninstall/reinstall?

If you are using a 3rd party system backup and restore app try turning it off before uninstall/reinstall.

From your posts it appears you probably have a corrupt file and something is refusing to allow it to be overwritten by a fresh install or is overwriting with the corrupt file from the restore/backup location.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Marse what OS are you running?

XP Pro - totally up to date and legal.

What other applications were open when you performed the uninstall and reinstall? I would suggest closing any apps before doing the uninstall and performing a reboot before reinstalling.

None - did a clean install after reboot.

Have your turned off System Restore (if you are on XP or Vista OS) before doing the uninstall/reinstall?

Don't use it.

If you are using a 3rd party system backup and restore app try turning it off before uninstall/reinstall.

None. I use Mozy which is an offline backup off only my data files.

From your posts it appears you probably have a corrupt file and something is refusing to allow it to be overwritten by a fresh install or is overwriting with the corrupt file from the restore/backup location.

Due respect but I've never heard of this. What situation would occur that the installation wouldn't overwrite the files?

Actually, I'm going to amend that statement and say that I have heard of doing so-called "clean uninstalls" of certain programs but it's been like 10 years since anyone has mentioned something like that to me. It's a possibility, I guess, and would make some sense.

But let's say you're correct. There's the rub. If I could talk to tech support I could probably figure out which (if any) of the installation files are corrupt and delete them manually.

I personally think it's a conflict with something on my system. I run pretty clean but I do have some TSR progs running.

marse
    Last edited by marse; 05 June 2008 at 07:05 PM.

What situation would occur that the installation wouldn't overwrite the files?
    If the system has marked a file as being in use you cannot overwrite it. This can be caused by several system glitches. It could be something as simple as one byte in the file record being in a flagged state.

XP Pro has System Restore active by default, unless you manually disabled.

TSR, wow that is an old term I think this is the first time I've read it since DOS was the primary Microsoft OS.

Are any of those TSR apps monitoring the registry? That can cause a reinstall to not be able to update. Adware and Spyware cleaners that do a live monitor of the system can also cause some install problems. Some versions of antivirus can also block files from being overwritten and/or block registry updates.

BTW I am assuming you are logging into XP with an administrator account.
    Last edited by Soquili; 05 June 2008 at 07:07 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

If the system has marked a file as being in use you cannot overwrite it. This can be caused by several system glitches. It could be something as simple as one byte in the file record being in a flagged state.
    Yeah - I amended my answer to say that I had heard of this and had to do it with a program years ago - they (tech support) called it a clean uninstall. So I agree - to a point - that there's a system file corruption but what is the question. This is one reason why a company needs either an online or phone option to nagging tech questions.

XP Pro has System Restore active by default, unless you manually disabled.

Yes, I did disable it manually.

TSR, wow that is an old term I think this is the first time I've read it since DOS was the primary Microsoft OS.
    Old school, yeah. I like the term even though it isn't primarily used anymore. It perfectly describes what it's doing.

Are any of those TSR apps monitoring the registry? That can cause a reinstall to not be able to update. Adware and Spyware cleaners that do a live monitor of the system can also cause some install problems.
    No reg progs that I'm aware of. I tend to be very hands-off when it comes to system stuff. It took me months to work up the guts to use Stardock's Object Dock Plus. I like running as cleanly as humanly? machinely? possible.

Thanks again.

marse