Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Paint Shop Pro selection & alpha channel

I have a page out of a college yearbook that is now in jpeg & tiff.
    I want to cut out EACN INDIVIDUAL photo and paste to other documents/programs ESPECIALLY WORD program.
    Each photo is the same size 1.70 inches wide x 2.70 inches high.
    I have discovered that I need to use the SELECTION TOOL.

The suggestion that I received is below except I am still having some issues.

If the individual pictures are the same size, here's a step that may make things simpler:
    When you make a selection around one of the pictures, save that selection to an alpha channel.
    Then put the first selection (individ picture) wherever...
    For the next picture, load the selection from the alpha channel, do Edit Selection, and use the Move tool to move the (red) selection over the next individual picture, and so on.
    This way you get all the pictures to be the same size from the start.

__________________________________________________ _____________

The issues I am still having are:

I have some steps in the solution that are not quite clear. I KNOW the files that I work with MUST be in PSP and that is no problem.
    One of the issues/problems I am having is that when I save my first individual picture "wherever" I want to save it in jpeg and am having a problem in doing this...actually I am having a problem even saving it in PSP or ANY format. Where should I save it to and how would I go about saving it?

I am able to save the selection in alpha channel.

The MAIN PROBLEM I have is when I have the first photo selected I am not being successful in saving it in ANY format. Thus I am not able to continue past my first picture. Where am I missing the here?

I am able to move the red selection but do not know how to save that selected picture.
    What am I doing wrong or simply not doing?

Thank you for your consideration and assistance,

silverdude

(I have PSP version 9; 10; 11 & 12 on my machine)
    IP

Default Re: Paint Shop Pro selection & alpha channel

Even better than saving a selection - which, saved to the alpha channel, will only be available while the original image is still open, not to mention that it will be lost once the image is saved as a JPG -, is using the Crop Tool. Enter the dimensions that you want to crop and then you'll be able to use the "last applied" preset (looking at PSP X's tool options here).

To save the picture, use the JPG optimizer (it will allow you to define the amount of compression, 1 being the best quality possible). You'll find the optimizer in the File menu.
    You can save the image to any folder that you want to. Note, however, that the image that is open in PSP won't have been saved, what you do through the optimizer is create a "copy" of it onto a given location - you can close the image inside PSP without saving again without any problems.
    If this does not help please give more information regarding the exact problems you are having saving, like if there are any errors or something like that. The basic saving process I've given you: the optimizer (all you have to change is the first value under the "quality" tab to 1 and ignore the rest) and then, by clicking OK on it, you'll be able to browse to the folder where you want to save the image to (this is completely up to you, can be under My Documents, on your Desktop, etc.).
    IP

I already had the entire year booked saved in 3 folders in jpeg as values 1, 2 & 3.

After your suggestion I used the following steps to accomplish my task:

In PSP 10>open page (jpeg value 1)>pan tool>zoom to 60%>crop tool>crop inside first photo>set crop width to 1.7" height to 2.7">move cropped rectangle into position>double click inside photo>save as

then to do second and following photos

Undo command once>move cropped rectangle to next photo>pan tool>zoom reset to 60%>crop tool>move croped rectangle into position>double click inside photo>save as

set zom to 60% toget accurate crop

Do you see any short cuts I could take? Any steps that would save repetions and time?

Thanks much,
    IP

I can't think of any shortcuts for this process. It is hard to make multiple crops out of an image without having to go through all these boring steps - whatever you do will come down to plain repetition.
    ...Unless you created a script from the point where you place the crop rectangle on until the undo part, like record: crop image, optimizer, enter the filename, undo.
    IP

You could use Autohotkey and record one or two short Macros, in order to automate your steps with one or two function keys.

Remi
    IP