Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Xara 3D crashing on export

Anyone know, any clue why, Xara 3D won't export? I create a x3d image, try to export it and one of two things happens. 1) Xara locks up and won't do anything and I'm forced to use the task manager to pull the plug or 2) it just goes away. This happens on a simple 3d button and in no matter what format I use for export - png, gif, jpg, bmp...

I've re-installed my nvidia drivers and the program itself and same result. I used this prog once to create a button that's happily residing on a website (www.wm3ip.com) so I know it works. Now it doesn't. I did clone my old drive, which I do regularly to prevent disk failures, so this is the cloned version, not the original but, like I said, I even re-installed Xara 3D fresh.

Help! I'm ready to boot this thing.

marse
    Last edited by marse; 02 June 2008 at 10:56 PM.

Default Re: Xara 3D crashing on export

Hi marse and welcome to TG. I've no idea why you're experiencing this problem. Is it just with a specific file or is it with any new file you create?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

seems to be any file (within the narrow design parameters of a button). I've tried and old file, a new file - same result. In fact, it's so simple, I'm just stumped as to why it'll crash as it did does. And I'm pretty capable on computers - lots of software and hardware experience...

I think, although I don't remember for certain, that I had this problem before but it's beyond me how it got fixed. All I know for certain is that I have successfully created a button, exported it and used it for Paypal.

I've attached a version in case anyone wants to see how simple it is.

Perhaps a clue is that it only goes as far as the export as dialogue. Once I choose a file type and give it a name, it won't go any further - it locks up. Perusing the help file, it appears as if there is more dialogue to be considered like size, res, etc. If so, I never get that far.

Weird - I can export the image as vector or raster Flash object but nothing else "static". WTF?

marse
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by marse; 03 June 2008 at 12:51 AM. Reason: additional information

Hello again marse. I can't duplicate your crashes which seems to indicate it may be something on your setup. I'd recommend that unistall/reinstall X3D.

I've never used the button option so I can't help with that and I haven't got the Font you used installed. What I did notice though on opening your X3D file above there's a shadow applied that is way to the left of the original text (This might be to do with me not having that font and the substitute font displaying incorrectly)

I suggest you open the file again and change the background colour to white. Can you see the highly offset shadow? This doesn't cause a crash on my system but might be a cause of your problems.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gif.gif 
Views:	356 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	49599  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks. I took the shadow out earlier and tried everything you've suggested including reinstalling the entire prog. I guess it might in the Xara suite which may use the same export dll's so I'll try that too but as far as Xara 3D goes, it's still locking up/crashing on export and nothing seems to change that.

It would be nice if there was actually a tech staff to speak to either online or on the phone. I guess Xara doesn't feel they need it.

And they still haven't responded to my email - you're a lot quicker and more responsive.

marse

On my system the font shows as "Penultimate" so I assume that's what you used.
    I had no problem exporting it as a standard .gif although as Egg said, the shadow location is very bizarre and doesn't export correctly with the text.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Thumbs up Re: Xara 3D crashing on export

It's very puzzling but that's why I need tech support to respond. I would assume that anyone steeped in the program operation would have some sort of clue. While these forums are just irreplaceable for a source of information, you sometimes need to talk to someone who actually understands the inner workings of the prog.

Anyway, everyone here has been helpful and responsive. Continued thanks for that.

marse

Have you thought to recreate the file from scratch?

Is the same problem happening with everything that you make?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Have you thought to recreate the file from scratch?

Is the same problem happening with everything that you make?

Paul
    Yes, I've done new images, old images and imported 3d images (from Egg) - no luck on anything.

Same problem, everything I make. It's got to be the prog. Corrupted dll somewhere that, as mentioned in another thread, isn't getting replaced or...?

Oh, tech support, where are you?

marse

I think even tech support are going to have trouble figuring this one out.

Fortunately (touch wood) I can't remember the last time a program crashed out on my PC. Do you get a dump showing where the program crashes - that might be a clue.

Paul