Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default EPS import WITHOUT the PDF way

hi!

i tried desperately for a while now to import all kinds of files created with gnuplot 4 to xara. gnuplot is capable of producing a broad range of file types, all kinds of ps, eps, svg and so on. xara won't open any of those due to missing filters, then it always discovers some kind of error in the input file. many of you propose here to convert the file to pdf via ps2pdf. fine - that works, but those pdfs have ALL text entries of the original eps RASTERED! this is obviously no help, i want to replace fonts for all the text data in my original eps, which i can't do if everything is rastered in the pdf output. so, my question is: do i use ps2pdf wrong? or is this just no solution to the problem i'm encountering? thanks so much for answers in advance,

jaspeR

Default Re: EPS import WITHOUT the PDF way

Hi welcome to TG

you could try saving as svg and converting to pdf with inkscape [free] or of course illustrator [not free]

I would avoid eps
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

hey!

tried that - astonishingly i can open the svg with inkscape , but exporting to pdf again rasters all the fonts... damn...

Have you tried using a PDF printer like PDF995 or similar (there are lots of freeware ones about), and just print to a PDF file directly from the Gnuplot. I don't know enough about it to tell you whether or not it will rasterize anything, but it may be worth a try.

Are you 100% sure that the original eps doesn't contain rasterized fonts? Again I don't know how anything is produced, just asking questions.
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 30 May 2008 at 06:56 PM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Which program is performing the font rasterising I wonder?
    Are you able to attach a sample .eps or .svg ?

Quote Originally Posted by umbrAtrorum View Post
    i tried desperately for a while now to import all kinds of files created with gnuplot 4 to xara. gnuplot is capable of producing a broad range of file types, all kinds of ps, eps, svg and so on. xara won't open any of those due to missing filters, then it always discovers some kind of error in the input file.
    According to the gnuplot website, the latest version will export directly to pdf. looking at one of the sample pdf files on the gnuplot website, the text in the pdf file is text, not rastorized. I can open the sample file in Xtreme Pro and manipulate the text.

Can you export directly to pdf and open the pdf in Xtreme?
    Tom aka Patent Guy (an engineer/patent attorney doing line drawings)
    www.KnoxPatents.com

I believe you have wrong settings when producing your PDF file. I am not familiar with gnuplot app, but can say for sure there is an option in your printer settings for fonts rasterization... (I guess gnuplot is producing PDF by printing).
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC