Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: custom keyboard

Default custom keyboard

I would like to be able to assign a certain ascii character to a key combination to . I have created a 'Spanish' keyboard for WordPerfect but fail to accomplish the same for CorelDraw (X3). I have read the 'help/customization/key assign' but can't figure out how to apply an ascii character of 0225 to ctrl/a for example to create a á. I need to do this for all the vowels.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have to do a lot of 'spanish' typing in Coreldraw.
    IP

Default Re: custom keyboard

Not sure about how to do this in Corel, but I would have thought that
    changing your language settings to include an extra keyboard on the
    language bar means you could switch between the 2 keyboards as required.
    Most of the Spanish keys are the same as the English, so it would only be a case of
    learning the new positions for ¿ ¡ Ñ ñ and the Alt + Numpad for the 5 vowels:
    á = ALT + 0225
    é = ALT + 0233
    í = ALT + 0237
    ó = ALT + 0243
    ú = ALT + 0250
    Hope this helps,
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

I think you will need "numlock" active on the keyboard to use the "alt+0225" method.

I find it works this way for me, just a suggestion.

George
    IP

Thank you both so much for your time. I already use the alt key method. That is how I've been able to get my work done. I wanted to be able to assign a 'spanish' keyboard to this and on that key board assign keys to take the place of the alt/0235 method. That is what I cannot figure out how to accomplish.

Also, I guess I'm too old to be able to memorize the combinations. Way too old..... hahahaha
    IP

A spanish keyboard (which I use) does not have any keys for the accented vowels, so I don't suppose changing your language settings in Windows would help.
    If I were you, I'd stick a sticky note to the edge of your monitor as an aide memoire.
    Hope someone comes along with the Corel solution soon. They usually do.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Well, why not try this.

To add a special character as a text object.

1. Using the Text tool , click where you want to add the special character.

2. Click Menu> Text Insert symbol character.

3. In the Insert character docker, choose a font from the Font list box.

4. Double-click a character in the list.

The size of the character is determined by the font size of the text.

Hope this helps,

George
    IP

Good suggestion, George, but I'm looking for a 'quick' way to use accented/special characters that belong to a certain language. I don't want to have to use any tools, etc for each special character. Again in WordPerfect I have defined a 'spanish' keyboard and all I have to do is hit ctrl/a for a á character, etc for each vowel and special characters to spanish. I don't want to have to interrupt my keying for special characters.
    Thanks all
    IP

Hi inphoenix,

I am a bilingual, and I type in Spanish and English all the time. In Windows, there is a Spanish keyboard.

I can switch from one to the other on the fly, using the American English and Mexican Spanish layouts.

In Windows XP, click on the Control Panel and point to Regional and Language Options. Click on the Languages Tab. Then click on the Details tab. From there, you can install the language toolbar and add one of the Spanish language keyboards. Then you will be able to switch keyboards on the fly.

The layout of the keyboards is slightly different to allow for certain differences in punctuation and a few letters in Spanish not found in English, such as the ñ, á, ó, é, ¡,¿ etc. You can download a handy cheatsheet to the differences from my web site by clicking here.
    Regards,

Alan
    The unexamined life is not worth living--Socrates
    IP

Talking Re: custom keyboard

Thank you so much Alan. I did the control panel/regional and could not get the alternate keyboard to work in CorelDraw with text. I did assign a key combo to change keyboards, left alt/shift/~ but it didn't seem to work when I typed an = I got an = not a ¿. Also I did not see any alternate keystroke(s) for the vowels at all. This is what I really need. I don't mind diverting from normal keying to enter an ascii code for seldem used characters. Is there anyway to add to this keyboard if I can get it to work? Seems I'm getting close to solving my problem with all the wonderful help I get here at TalkGraphics.

Erase all of the above... didn{t know I had to reboot. I also added the language bar to my task bar and WOW!!!!! I did some more reading on how to use this keyboard and I think I'm going to be able to memorize the few strokes to produce accented vowels.

By the way..... is it true that uppercase vowels are NOT accented in Spanish??? I get a lot of request for spanish text with the uppercase vowels accented and I thought this was improper spelling.

Most grateful user,
    Marie
    Last edited by inphoenix; 04 June 2008 at 03:57 PM.
    IP

Accented capital vowels are normal in Spanish.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ubeda.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	49640  
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 04 June 2008 at 08:21 PM. Reason: add graphic
    IP