Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Why keep 4 versions of Xara installed?

I was about to install XaraXtreme 4.0 and noticed I have Xara X¹, Xara Xtreme and Xara Xtreme 3.2 in my Xara folder on my C drive (not to mention Xara3D6).

In the interest of saving space on my C drive I was considering removing Xara Xtreme and Xara Xtreme 3.2 before installing XaraXtreme 4.0.

Any reason not to remove those two versions?

Bob C.

Default Re: Why keep 4 versions of Xara installed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob C. View Post
    In the interest of saving space on my C drive ...
    It depends if the space is required for something more important - otherwise saving *space* merely means you are saving nothing.

Xtreme 4 handles fonts differently than 3.2, and is NOT backwards compatible in this.

If you ever used Bold or Italic on fonts that didn't have a bold or italic variant, then Xara used to do it artificially. Xtreme 4 doesn't support that anymore, which is a p.i.t.a. in my opinion. So you might want to keep 3.2 installed.

Frans

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    It depends if the space is required for something more important - otherwise saving *space* merely means you are saving nothing.
    That is very Zen of you ;-)

Wolfgang, another good reason for keeping earlier versions is that occasionaly a xar will become corrupted due to a live effect. XXP4 may not be able to open the file at all, but X1 may often open it as it has no live effect tool and so just ignores that data.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

@sledger
    Much ado about nothing indeed!

@ Frans
    I do recall reading XaraXteme 4.0 handles fonts "properly" now, thanks for reminding me.

@Egg
    Xara X¹ was on my list to keep installed, thanks for confirming that.

So Xara Xtreme is the candidate for removal.

Bob C.

if xara was a bloated HD hog I would suggest removing it. Personally, I leave all the versions I have on. I just don't load them on a new machine when I upgrade. Presently I have 4 versions of xara and 2 versions of 3D.

One of these days I think I will put 1.2 back on here just for the heck of it.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook