Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Oregon, USA (Pine Trees, Mountains, and Hipsters)

Default New to web design...Started doing it with Xara 4--site looks very different online.

This is my first post on a thread at all, so forgive me if this is done inappropriately....

I have a website where I'm promoting different travel deals with my online travel biz. I'm trying to figure out if my website is garbled because of something I've done, or because I'm not uploading the info correctly, or if it's an issue because Xara is new to html importing. My site is called [link removed], if you want to see what I mean. It looks fine in Xara, but once I import it acts pretty crazy.

Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by remi; 24 May 2008 at 01:06 AM. Reason: link to the travel biz site removed after a solution was worked out

Default Re: New to web design...Started doing it with Xara 4--site looks very different onlin

Welcome to TG.

When you make changes and re export your HTML from Xtreme, make sure you re upload all files, not just the .htm files. Often images become re numbered which would cause your mousover or popups to load the wrong image.

Default Re: New to web design...Started doing it with Xara 4--site looks very different onlin

That sounds like that actually might be the problem--I will try that, my friend. Thanks so much!

Any tips/pitfalls to using Filezilla that anyone knows, that I should know about?

I used FileZilla exclusively and have never had any trouble. It's a simple FTP client and works flawlesly for me.
    The portable version is supremely handy as I can carry it around and access my sites whereever I hav access to the web.
    I particularly like being able to live edit files directly.

I used to se WS_FTP before I converted to FileZilla, and I'm still wondering why it took me so long to change, cause FileZilla is very easy to use and covers all my needs in fileuploading

On the Xara matter I have no idea, cause I'ver never used Xara.

To let you guys know, I did fix the site. And it was related to file numbers not being updated, as suggested. I basically figured out, that if Filezilla, you have to select, drag, and drop the index files AND the image files folder to the online folder, at the same time.

One last question:

Is there a way I can name my site sections anything other than Index Page 1, or Index Page 2, etc.?? Again, look at my site and see what I mean. TourThisWorld.com.

Actually the image numbers *are* updated, you simply did not upload the updated files
    Glad it worked out for you.

You can edit the page title by entering the title you require in Xara File>>Document Info>>Comment

Yes, that's what I meant by that. You were completely right about it.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    You can edit the page title by entering the title you require in Xara File>>Document Info>>Comment
    Or you could open the HTML file and edit the text between <title> and </title> (which is one of the top lines)

Of course, you can edit any of the source if you wish.
    The point is, Xara provides a way to accomplish many of these tasks internally, without anyone having to dig into the source.
    It's what it's made for.