Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy Layer Inadequacy

I am considering upgrading, finally, to Xtreme Pro4. I have waited for several versions now to see if the development team would finally add nested/grouped or a more advanced layering system. It's really the only thing that is holding me back from spending the money although I admit some of the new features are a quite compelling.

The truth is I have made a full time living, over the past couple of years, using Xtreme to rock out web site templates, PowerPoint templates and other various graphic design projects. I will admit however that not having more advanced layers has been a considerable pain in my axle this whole time. The problem becomes quite severe on projects that have A LOT of pieces which must be turned on/off in order do a live mock-up for customers or even for exporting purposes. As you might imagine, finding things in a list of 50-100 layers without being able to divide them into logical groupings can be quite cumbersome.

So my question is whether anyone knows if more advanced layers are ever going to happen or are even a consideration of Charles and his team? Is it possible that I am just shooting blanks in the wind here hoping for something that is not likely to materialize?

Please understand that I love Xtreme, it is the most used application on my computer but I am just frustrated today, again, with the lack of grouped/nested layers. I think maybe my ability to just say, “Oh well, I can live with it”, is a little on the low side today.
    IP

Default Re: Layer Inadequacy

I can't answer your question, but I suffer the same problem.

+1 for nested / grouped layers.

I just can't understand why features like this have yet to make it into Xtreme. Surely the code required is minimal compared to a feature such as text repel or integrating Xara3D? After all we already have a button that toggles visibility / editability for ALL layers, it can't require much of a change to toggle GROUPS of layers.

Please, please, please Xara add these features that your users have requested for several years.
    IP

Chris, I understand/sympethize with what you are saying.

I don't usually have lots of layers, but when I do then grouping would in most cases be VERY helpful; especially when you come back to a file after 3 or 4 months and try to remember a particular sequencing.
    Last edited by jclements; 15 May 2008 at 12:55 AM.
    IP

I agree as well. The layer gallery is looking decidedly clunky these days and the ability to have grouped layers would be very welcome. Even just the ability to run the mouse down the layers list (as a mouse over effect) to quickly turn layers on/off rather than individually clicking on each one separately would be an advancement.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

England (Amongst the green rolling hills of the East Midlands)

I love Xara, but do share your pain.

Even the ability to select multiple layers (ctrl + click and shift + click) and lock/unlock show/hide all selected at once would be a great help.

Nested / grouped layers would, I guess, take this to another level.
    IP

top of my wish list [even ahead of brush overhaul]

whilst on the subject of layers - does anyone know if there is a fix in xara to make new layer above/below the current layer which is what I nearly always want, and not on the top of the stack?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

England (Amongst the green rolling hills of the East Midlands)

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    top of my wish list [even ahead of brush overhaul]

whilst on the subject of layers - does anyone know if there is a fix in xara to make new layer above/below the current layer which is what I nearly always want, and not on the top of the stack?
    Can't find a keyboard modifier to do this... but can see how this would be really useful within complex projects.
    IP

yes thanks for looking I was hoping maybe a registry fix....

I have my illustration text, line art and coloring shapes on separate layers.
    Forever having to drag a new coloring layer down below the text/outline/upper coloring layers is a real pain - this is exacerbated by the fact that there are alternative coloring schemes to switch in and out - and that's where grouped layers would be very nice....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Yes, I've been banging on this drum for some time..
    IP

Yes and Yes again we would all like to see this happen. Yes we would all like to see proper vector brushes but I would not hold my breath until it happens. What style of nested layers would you like to see if it were to happen as they are a few styles out there, Adobe, Corel, Marcromedia ect.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP