Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Editing existing text

Hello

I have Photoshop version 4. Sometime ago I added text to an image, and now I want to edit that text. But everytime I try to edit it nothing happens. If I try to edit it by using the type tool it keeps asking about a new layer etc.

I have been everywhere for a solution to this, including the actual adobe support, and found nothing. I can not believe editing text is not so simple or that I cannot find a solution to this.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    IP

Default Re: Editing existing text

I don't use photoshop often and it's not installed on my system at present, but I think it would depend on how you saved your original file. If it's a .psd file, then the text layer should be intact and editable. But if it has been saved as a .jpg, .bmp or .png or something similar, then the whole thing becomes a raster image, and only the pixels are editable.
    I'm sure someone more adept with Photoshop than I will be along here soon to offer you advice.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Thanks Bob

You may be right, it may have to be a .psd file, But any confirmation on this would be grateful.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    IP

Hi - welcome to TG Jeff

yes - if the file has a text layer you have text to edit, otherwise you simply have a new image
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Jeff, I just tried this in Paintshop Pro which I'm pretty sure works the same way as Photoshop. It creates the text on a new vector layer and not on the photo itself. If it is saved in the native paintshop pro file, (psp image) it preserves the vector layer and you can edit the text on reopening. I'm sure Photoshop is the same in this regard.
    Saludos,
    Welcome to talkgraphics, by the way.
    Bob.
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 11 May 2008 at 03:56 PM. Reason: typo
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

if you go to the layers pallet the text layer will show and if you double click on the text layer it will select the text for editing then just click your text tool on the image at what neads changing.
    IP

If you are opening a raster (also known as a bitmapped image) file you can no longer edit text, only the pixels of the image.

If you are opening a .psd file it would depend on whether or not the original layers are still intact. If you flattened the layers that would be the same as trying to edit a raster image.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Thanks guy for your response.

I'll give them ago. Finally I got an answer from a decent forum.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    IP

Hi Guys

I tried the above but nothing works.

I tried paintshop pro by opening the image with text. The image has a pspimage extension but I still cannot edit the text.

I also tried photoshop, but when I selected the text layer it kept throwing up another box saying 'new layer'. The initial file is saved as a psd extension.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    IP

any chance you could post it up so we can take a look?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP