Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinning 3D logos

You will all be relieved to know that I won't be asking you to make some logo spin as a special favour that I would be eternally grateful for.

Can anyone explain to me what the appeal is of a spinning logo? To my mind it detracts greatly from any design, forcing the viewer to look at the unavoidable distraction and taking attention away from the rest of the web page (in my case the site since spinning Logos don't frequent what I perceive as good sites).

Do I hate animation? No I love animation, but in the right place and the right way.

Have I ever dabbled with spinning Logos? Yes, probably ten years back. The first one I did was using Lightwave and probably the second one was done with FutureSplash (now called Flash!). I was impressed by being able to make them, but fortunately they never, ever made it to the outside world. I quickly decided that my foray into spinning things was just pointless.

Just what is the enduring appeal of a spinning logo on talkgraphics and should I just consider it as tasteful as a Burberry hat?

Someone show me a tasteful and effective spinning logo. Please.

Paul

Default Re: Spinning 3D logos

Some good spinning avatars on tg, Paul.
    As the old adages say, "there's no accounting for taste" and "one man's meat is another man's poison".
    If you use Opera as your web browser of choice, you have the option of turning these things off if they annoy.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 11 May 2008 at 11:16 AM. Reason: clarification
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Thanks for that Bob. LOL

Bob, as a fan of the spinning whatsit, what is it about these spinning whatsits that you like?

I admit now that I won't be converted, but I am curious about the alternative viewpoint.

Paul

Paul, I think spinning can look good, if it is restrained. Xara 3d does it well and I like the control of the lighting effects and rotation. As long as not too many effects are going on at the same time.
    For me it's the flashing banners than annoy on websites. The faster they flash, the worse it gets. It induces a feeling of panic if I look at one for more than a second or two.
    I wouldn't say I was a fan of spinning logos as such, but I do admire some of the animation effects than Xara can achieve.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Paul, I'm with you.

It's a matter of taste, no question. But I found them ugly and old-fashioned two years ago and I haven't changed my mind. Perhaps they are useful in TV spots, but not on websites.

Remi

LOL, I'm two years behind the times. The only thing a rotating logo does for me is to make me cringe.

I don't have a problem with TV spots using them for a few moments. It's the 'look at this thing spinning all the time' bit that gets to me.

The spining Logo is incredibly popular here on talkgraphics, which to my mind seems very much at odds with the pool of artistic talent we have here.

Ah well..

Paul

Rotating logo? Not my taste anyway.
    But if you make it so that it spins on rollover, that could look fancy...

I've always disliked any animation on websites.
    As an Opera user I can disable all this.
    Even flash is disabled, all I see is an 'f' button which I can click to activate the Flash object *should I wish to*
    Name:  flash.png
Views: 941
Size:  1.6 KB
    But like Paul, it doesn't mean I hate animation at all. I simply find it incredibly annoying and distracting on a website when I'm trying to read the body text to have bouncing, bobbing, shaking, spinning, flashing objects which are seeking my attention like a child with ADDS!
    This is also how I consider the 'Spinning Logo' syndrome - simply attention seekers.

But of course if I'm looking at a YouTube video, BBC website video or movie trailer I certainly want that animated !

Sorry Bob, I didnt realise your (or anyones at TG) AVATAR is animated..

I personally dislike spinning logos.

Many of the past requests for spinning logos have been for use on a person's cell phone. They wanted their favorite football (soccer) team logo. I must be getting old, I thought the purpose of a cell phone was to use as a telephone. Another thing I dislike is a cell phone. Sold my last one over 10 years ago and have been very happy since.

Spinning logos for websites? Why bother many people disable animations in their web browsers.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update