Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Fonts

Default Fonts

I'm in the latter stages of building a new flash website for a small business. This is a redesign of an old site that I originally made some years ago for them and most certainly it didn't fit their need, even though it was what they wanted.

The difference between the old site and the new site is that the old site said a lot about the specifics and technicalities of their business but was as dull as dishwater. It was only good for insomniacs.

This time around I've switched the emphasis towards the target client, more particularly the aspirations of the target client.

The client runs a financial service business and are really selling their expertise in the market.

Most of their clients are from the general public. To that end, the site is really all about getting someone to call the client and the pages are really more akin to single page advertising appealing to the aspirations of the target market.

To soften the site I looked for a less formal font and just went ahead with Comic Sans which makes the pages very informal.

Besides the general public, one part of the site targets businesses and for that part (a single page) a less formal style seems appropriate and something like arial suits very well.

So, I have this tension between appealing to the public with a less formal font, yet not alienating businesses by looking less professional.

The site pages have more similarity with billboard adverts than most web pages - with a photographic background with overlaid text.

Any suggestions?

Paul

Default Re: Fonts

There is a huge groundswell of opinion against the use of Comic Sans for anything whatsoever.
    There are plenty of free casual or comic fonts out there to choose from, depending on whether
    they are used for display or body text.

Edit: Re-reading your post, it looks like body text isn't an issue, so you could be more flamboyant than those attached.
    Of course putting text on a photo background raises the issue of legibility, so an outline or drop shadow may be required.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fonts.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	48909  
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 11 May 2008 at 11:49 AM. Reason: add graphic
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Conservative but friendly is really what I'm after.

Paul (hypnotised by the Avatar)

Friendly-in-a-conservative-sort-of-way-fonts (garamond).
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fonts.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	48911  
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 11 May 2008 at 01:00 PM. Reason: add graphic
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

LOL - almost as subtle as the Avatar..

Could be just the job.

Good suggestion Bob, thank you.