Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Problems exporting to various formats

I have downloaded the trial of Xtreme to evaluate how it works compared to the version I have (X1) and while I am impressed with the features, I am disappointed with the results while trying to export to some common formats.

Export to .pdf - works fine
    Export to .psd - fails completely, numerous "can't find file" errors, nothing exported
    Export to Adobe .eps - huge file, fonts missing or distorted, some imported images missing.
    Export to .ai - fonts missing or distorted, all imported images missing
    Export to .svg - gradients missing

This is running under Windows XP.
    I tried with more than one project.

Without better Adobe compatibility, I can't see buying this product, people expect to receive industry standard file formats.

Default Re: Problems exporting to various formats

Hmmm... My .ai and .psd exports are just fine. Can you post an example .xar here that doesn't work? It is hard to fix something that is just broke. If we can duplicate it, then we can fix it. If you are trying to get adobe to do something that it can't, then that is understandable.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by earthman View Post
    Without better Adobe compatibility, I can't see buying this product, people expect to receive industry standard file formats.
    ...the nice thing about standards is, there are so many to choose from.

EPS for example, has many incarnations.

Even .doc files change from version to version.

I have attached one of the .xar files I was working on, as well as reduced size .png to show what it should look like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outsidebrochure1.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	48875  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi earthman,

I had a look at your file, but I don't have most of the fonts installed that you have used in your file, so it's always best to save off a copy with fonts converted to shapes when you need to share a file..
    You'll be asked by many printers to do this as well.

With your missing fonts in mind, I exported your file to PSD at 96DPI and it opens fine in PS CS3.
    I converted to shapes and exported to .ai and it opens fine in AI CS3 and CorelDraw X3.
    You said PDF was fine so I didn't bother.
    SVG? Why would you even want to, honestly??

Remember .xar files are optimised and compressed, they are very space efficient whereas many other file formats are not. Xara re uses repeated (duplicated) images instead of embedding a second copy, unlike other formats - so yes the .xar file will always be much smaller compared to PSD and AI

To be fair to Xara, I do think that you need to experiment a bit before proclaiming it a disappointment and unable to work with common formats.

Exporting and importing between other pro software isn't always plain sailing either. First you must learn the ropes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PSD96DPI.png 
Views:	415 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	48879   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AIasSHAPES.png 
Views:	430 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	48880  

Last edited by steve.ledger; 10 May 2008 at 06:26 AM. Reason: spooling

whilst [unlike Mr Ledger] I can see definate uses for svg export and use it [porting to inkscape for example], I feel I should point out that X1 never had an svg export, so there is nothing to compare

it is new and works as far as it goes - gradients will be added in due course hopefully.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Ah Mr James, let me clarify for this for you

SVG? Why would you even want to, honestly??
    = Why would you want to export a 'brochure' to SVG which is primarily designated as a vector graphics markup language, when the brochure contains non - Scalable Vector Graphics.. (those bitmaps)?
    SVG is not really a 'print' ready format (let's not get into 'SVG Print')

My question to the OP regarding his SVG acid test should not be taken as a sweeping statement from Mr Ledger as disapproval of exporting to and all possible uses of the SVG format.