Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Problems exporting to various formats

Apparently I have a bug or I am doing something wrong. I tried selecting all my text and converting it to shapes, but the resulting export to .ai doesn't show them as converted to shapes, just as text. I even tried it with a different copy of the file. What's strange is that the font that Xara seems to use fine doesn't work correctly in Illustrator, so I'm not sure what to do. I used this font because it was specified by the customer, they had already used it in some printed materials. Hopefully they will be able to use a .pdf or large .tif for the printing end of it. Also, I was exporting at 300dpi, to get a standard print quality. I would say that for exporting to images, Xara works great, and I have no complaints. As the other person mentioned though, some people insist on .ai, .eps, or .psd files whether they need them or not.

As Sledger has said several times. If you need to export to .ai, .eps, or .pdf you need to have that in mind when you begin the project.

You and not the software must limit yourself to only those features that the export format can support.

This is true whether you are using Xara Xtreme, CorelDraw, or even Adobe Illustrator.

If you save an Illustrator CS3 drawing with any of the new features in that version.

If you send that file to someone that has Illustrator 10 they will have problems opening the file.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

earthman,

Apparently I have a bug or I am doing something wrong. I tried selecting all my text and converting it to shapes, but the resulting export to .ai doesn't show them as converted to shapes, just as text.
    I just can't understand this. There's no way that you can convert text to shapes in XXP and have it reconstructed as text in Illustrator or any other program. It's just not text.

Are you sure your "converting to editable shapes" and NOT "converting line to shapes"

Could you attach an example?
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 12 May 2008 at 11:10 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hmmmm. My Convert to Editable Shapes is doing absolutely nothing to text. The text still remains editable (while in Xara Xtreme Pro 4).

hmmmm... just did more testing in pro 3 and it worked so went back into 4 and this time it worked. Quite odd.
    Last edited by -=Drifter=-; 13 May 2008 at 02:57 AM. Reason: more testing
    -=Bob=-

No problems here (both v4 and 3.2 installed).

hmmmmmmm

Hmmmm is right. Now it works flawlessly. Go figure.
    -=Bob=-