Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: Xara Xtreme/Pro 4 Reviews

Here's a new review, but for Magix Xtreme Photo & Graphics Designer 2, which borderline makes topic. The mindset for reviewing really is interesting. Take Xara Xtreme Pro 4 (5/5 stars), then add more packages. This then makes it less it seems, and the rating drops to 4/5. I guess the review criteria changed.

The part I found most intriguing was: "Xtreme Graphic Designer 2 is a close relation of Xara Xtreme 4, which has acquired a strong reputation for everything from photo editing to website design." I guess that's a good sign that Xara's doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    The part I found most intriguing was...
    This is not a "review"... It's a couple of paragraphs repeating hype "terms" of other sites. The "review" has one purpose only = tinsy bit of web traffic... I doubt the "author" even fired up X4.

It's like my Sony H9 review: I was the first person in the World (Web...) to post a full "review" of the camera... a couple of months before it was actually released to the public and press My review was of-course a "joke one" and it was read by ~120,000 visitors! Some took it (very) seriously, even thought it's obviously nonsense. The comments for the "review" has been deleted a few times (and never published since the last one approved), and is not a reflection of the "interest" it got at the time. Blog "comments" in general is just too much work... And they will all go shorly...

As for my real hands-on review - the camera is a joke. Don't buy it (based on my writing... )

Even thought a complete joke... My Sony H9 "review" was better researched than this particular X4 review. Just to say... A "review" is not always a review... Often it's just a few lines for some web traffic. And in my case, a joke that resulted in the same.

Here's my expert review of something I never saw: http://www.scudfish.com/2007/04/07/s...camera-review/

I'm still on the first page of Google! (just checked) I was number 1 for months and months... http://www.google.com/search?q=sony+...x=&startPage=1

I do realize it's slightly OT... (and I do appologize for that). POINT BEING: just because it says "review"... Well... I think you get the point...

Risto

Hi Risto,

Liked your "review" on the camera and the joke is that anybody can say everything about anything,it still doesn't make it true.

One thing though;Google doesn't work like that anymore.
    When you put in a quest or word it searches for the most likely in your neck of the woods.
    So for me your review doesn't showup.

example of what i mean;
    In Dutch a plumber means nothing,so when you search with google,it should showup an English,American or Australian plumbing company.
    But instead i get a childrens toy and a video game sold at Dutch stores.

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by haakoo View Post
    When you put in a quest or word it searches for the most likely in your neck of the woods.
    So for me your review doesn't showup.
    Yeah, I forgot about that little bit = "other parts of the world"...

Point being though (as you got) just because someone wrote something - it does not make it law, accurate or even sane... It's just means "that somebody wrote something".

Risto

Quote Originally Posted by Risto Klint View Post
    Point being though (as you got) just because someone wrote something - it does not make it law, accurate or even sane... It's just means "that somebody wrote something".
    So very true.

Truth (like everything else) is in the eye of the beholder.

Dear me, review 13 really is unlucky for some. Is it me, or does this guy not care?

Review 14 however is a better attempt. The reviewer apparently thought the 3D extrusion tool, with its WYSIWYG click-and-drag-ery was somewhat difficult and fiddly to use. Perhaps the infobar controls were being used instead? In an ironic twist, Xara received maximum marks for features, but was marked down for performance. I wonder how that one's explained?
    Last edited by Xhris; 20 August 2008 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Cleaned up quasi-expletive...I forget TG is egg-shell central <CRUNCH>.

Since InfoWorld magazine is aimed at IT professionals, not artists, I'm not surprised that he didn't care much about it. It would be like me trying to review the latest new networking gadget.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    "If you want to purchase a Xara product, such as the company's Xtreme Pro 4.0 title, then the transaction will need to be conducted via the web."

Not so, at least in this part of the world.
    You may buy Xara products off the shelf at a computer software store (we have one locally) or via any dealer/reseller (such as myself) who buys from a national Distributer (as I do).

Review 15 seems familiar, but doesn't seem to have been listed here.

Review 16: a friendly review giving 4/5 with a few grammatical errors and typos. It's hard to tell what this reviewer actually means by their star rating.