Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xara Xtreme/Pro 4 Reviews

Did we read the same review? Sure sounded like a rave to me.

And what reviewer has ever fully tested the software? That takes way more time than a reviewer can give to any one product. It's pretty clear to me that these guys know Xtreme much better than most reviewers since they say they use it regularly.

And since they do use it regularly and the review is posted in their blog, they could easily post a a review of the bitmap editing features down the line.

Meanwhile, we've got a very positive review now.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Agreed, they seem to be saying "Our review of the software is very neutral, because we didn't actually bother reviewing the software!"
    Sorry, that was very badly written. Probably should have gone to bed earlier. I meant only the bitmap editing portion. The rest of the review was very positive.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Understood. Unfortunately, we all tend to give more attention to what we don't like more than on what we do.

Review 4: http://www.designertoday.com/Reviews....0.Review.aspx

Alas, another lackluster attempt constituting a poor review. And just to be explicitly clear in case it's not obvious: it's not a bad review because it doesn't suck Xara's extrude tool, but is so because criticisms made and claims of not being a worthy competitor are not backed up with much in the way of evidence. The review is also not very thorough--which is surely the whole point of reviewing software--to thoroughly explore what's on offer to base a sound critique. You wouldn't watch part of a film because "you didn't have time" and then make a public review for example; you would either watch it all, or not publicly review it. There are a few useful (albeit vague) things that can be picked up from the review though.

I like the first review best so far; they show they know the history of the software, and do the most thorough job in describing what's on offer without saying something silly.
    Last edited by Xhris; 17 May 2008 at 08:41 PM.

Did we read the same review Xhris Don't know how much the reviewer tested but got to take his word that he did. Criticism is backed up:

"However, I was a little disappointed with the import option and found some troubles when importing Illustrator files with a lot of special graphics. I found the same issues when trying to import PDFs or EPS files. This makes it hard to try to integrate this software into an everyday production workflow that utilizes other graphics programs."

Not that I can agree or disagree there due to lack of experience/knowledge, but the point was made. If he explored everything in Xara it would be a very long review: in the space he had been given (perhaps) I think it's fair enough. Not good for potential users of Xara who would need to integrate it, though reviewer does strongly suggest a trial run. Overall, a positive impression of Xara is left on the reader.

As a rule, long, deep, painstaking reviews of computer software and hardware are skim-read between the first couple of paragraphs and the conclusion. Can't prove that mind you, unless I find the research on such things I read many aeons ago
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

However, I was a little disappointed with the import option and found some troubles when importing Illustrator files with a ..........
    This is probably the most damning comment in this review. Unfortunately I think this is always going to be the case, once one piece of software has become "industry standard". Why should it be expected that XXP vector drawings can be imported in tact into Illustrator but not vice versa. In other words XXP has to struggle far harder by supplying constantly updated export filters. Let's face it you're up against a piece of software that has four native filetypes. Who wants / requires four native filetypes?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Import and Exporting are I believe, too often misunderstood.

If all graphics software applications were able to work with each others file types and unique technologies 100%, would there infact be any necessity for 'import/export' options?
    No - likely there would only be 'Open/Save' ..

I can travel to Japan and recognise many things, but I can't properly translate the language used, so I'd do the best I could.

From the current issue of WebUser.........

http://www.webuser.co.uk/competitions/?id=4347

Quote Originally Posted by Penny O\'Rorke View Post
    From the current issue of WebUser.........

http://www.webuser.co.uk/competitions/?id=4347
    That's a competition rather than a review.

Review 5: http://www.biosmagazine.co.uk/rev.php?id=743

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post

Further allegiance to Web design is evident with the new NavBar tool...
    ..new Navbar tool???? (doesn't Xara X1 have this?)

Existing users will be interested to know what’s new in this latest release. Among the highlights are animated Flash export....
    Existing users of what? (doesn't Xara X1 have this?)

I'm confused as to which version of Xara Xtreme this site was reviewing??

Sounds like a (hurried) take on the press release received rather that a review of real usage of XaraXtreme4 software..

CONS

Tons of features, but master of none
    Wrong... Master of speed for one thing.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 25 May 2008 at 03:21 AM. Reason: additional comment