Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara Internal Photo Editor (XPE) Crashes System

Hi Folks,

I'v had a problem with the internal photo editor of Xara Xtreme Pro 4.0.4966 crashing when I try to edit a photo.....I'm using the internal editor versus Magix or PhotoShop CS3.

I'm on an ASUS MN2E motherboard with an Athlon 3600 chip and 2gigs of Corsair memory.

Xara Extreme Pro 3.2 worked fine and dandy on the machine prior to the 4.0.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated......Thanks,

Jack

Default Re: Xara Internal Photo Editor (XPE) Crashes System

Hi
    Apart from a bit of a red eye fix the photoeditor is redundant and all operations can be performed in Xtreme. I would imagine (hope) that it will disappear completely by the time of the next upgrade. Much of what majix photo does can be performed directly in Xtreme as well.
    Find the camera icon on the tool bar to access all photo editing functions
    Derek

There was a change with xtreme 4

all the functions [almost] that were done with XPE are now done with the photo tool [camera icon], the functions are on the info bar and crop has now been renamed clip [as it is now non-destructive - a mixed blessing]

XPE no longer works well - Xara have admitted this and advise not using it from this version on [4]

There are threads about this - a search for XPE should find them

Welcome to TG
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks guys.....I used the XPE for simple things like changing the brightness and contrast quickly....in 3.2 I'd just doubleclick the photo and do whatever it was I wanted.

Normally, if major work is required I'd do that in PhotoShop and then import.

Thanks for the info....I'll just abandon the XPE....I thought I had a glitch in the program that wasn't suppose to be there.....obviously Xara fell off with the photo editing capabilities.

Just for the record....you guys answered in less than an hour what I've been trying to get out of Xara "Support" for 3 weeks.....Thanks and All the best,

Jack

one additional point - if you set the options to use an external editor but leave the field blank and click apply, xtreme will no longer try to open the editor if you accidentally double click - takes one time to reset and then it does nothing

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by jackbp View Post

Thanks for the info....I'll just abandon the XPE....I thought I had a glitch in the program that wasn't suppose to be there.....obviously Xara fell off with the photo editing capabilities.

Jack
    As far as falling off with the photo-editing capabilities you will see that they are all still there and now easier to use (get at) I spend a reasonable amount of time working with photos for one use or another and find photoshop, which has always been annoyingly over the top for most users, to be largely redundant.
    Derek

Maybe I'm missing something here but if you just want to do basic changes to brightness and contrast, click on the plug-in icon and the first option in the list is enchance, which on my none pro version works just fine.

However, as Derek and Steve are saying, click on the camera icon, much, much better. Everthing is there and best of all you have thebrightness levels icon which is the best by far. Oh, oh, best by far, squirrel peanut butter, I think I feel a song coming on. Sorry, gotta go cause I'm starting to sing that stupid song ............frank

oh rats, can't get it out of my head now................

Quote Originally Posted by jackbp View Post
    .....obviously Xara fell off with the photo editing capabilities.
    Xtreme has enhanced photo editing capabilities (as has been mentioned, to access most of them simply click the camera icon on the tools palette).
    Xara have actually improved on the internal raster handling features rather than any 'falling off'.. There's even a dedicated template for photo work (New>>Blank Photo) which has no real page size, it expands to whatever photo size you happen to be working with.

I think Gary did a workbook lately on the new photo tool. It is very nice. Here is a few examples of what the photo editing tool can do...

full moon part #3

diner for 2?
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Welcome Jack,

To avoid future crashes from when you accidentally double click either set your choice of another bitmap editor or leave the "Edit bitmaps with this program" Blank under Utilities / Options / Effects & Plugins.

It's probably best to "save template" to ensure it sticks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gif.gif 
Views:	227 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	51814  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 07 September 2008 at 10:46 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host