Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Suggestion for future version

At the moment I'm doing one particular job which is generating quite a few Xara files which I've saved to my desktop as I often do with current work. Given that there is also a couple of other jobs on the go as well this has left a bewildering array of Xara icons on the desk top plus of course the program icon, which is exactly the same. It would be a help if the saved files icon was different to the main program icon. A small thing, but in my case, particularly now, one that would be useful to break up the sea of blue pencils drawing an X on a bit of paper. Saves clicking on a file icon rather than the program icon and having to wait while a potentially large file opens accidentally.
    (or of course I could make my own program ico. And use that)
    Derek

Default Re: Sugestion for future version

Derek, in the Xara Xtreme 4 folder in Program Files there is the attached icon tucked away. Why not put all the ongoing work you have on your desktop in a new folder and use this icon for it.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Why not load Xara from the taskbar, then all thats showing on the desktop can be saved files?

You can change the shortcut icon to Xara Xtreme by right clicking on the current shortcut and selecting "Properties."

There in the Shortcut tab, there should be a "Change Icon..." button. Clicking that will give you a few more different options to select a different icon for Xtreme. Select a different icon and click "OK"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 1.png 
Views:	365 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	51701  
    •Bob

I think Derek has completely reasonable suggestion... It has to be different and should be set when installing Xtreme, also I'd like to have a special favicon for this forum too )))

Maybe it's time for competition?
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

Yeah, really files should be represented by a head-on rectangular document icon as with other Windows file icons. I'll fiddle one up when I get a spare moment.

As a way to avoid muddling up your desktop, try arranging your ‘permanent’ desktop icons on the right hand side of the screen instead of the left. Then you can reserve the left side (where new saved files appear) for temporary/work-in-progress files.

For several reasons, I don't save files on my desktop, so a "document" icon for that purpose doesn't mean anything to me. However, for years, I've asked for different 16x16 icons for different releases so I can distinguish them in the taskbar when I have more than one open. Is that the Favicon?

Although I usually change the application icons (riffing on the venerable Manor House, they're all castles ), I've never gotten a 16x16 version to show up in the taskbar. Come to think of it, I haven't tried lately. <sigh> Something else for the when-I-get-break list.

I've asked for different 16x16 icons for different releases so I can distinguish them in the taskbar
    Oh, you use multiple Xara versions simultaneously?

I've never gotten a 16x16 version to show up in the taskbar.
    You'd have to change the built-in icon in Xtreme.exe to make that happen, I think. This could be done using a PE resource file editor such as ResHacker. I think it'd be icon 7 you'd need to replace, possibly also 2 and 1 depending on screen colour depth.

(Make a backup of Xtreme.exe first, natch!)

Quote Originally Posted by BobInce View Post
    Oh, you use multiple Xara versions simultaneously?
    and Alison isn't the only one by any means

General observation: read licence before considering making changes to xtreme.exe
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by alexbozhenov View Post
    also I'd like to have a special favicon for this forum too )))
    Ah the ol' TG Favicon request again
    Xara have receive this request and member produced submissions for quite sometime Alex.
    The recent vBulletin upgrade would have been an ideal time to add this but alas, they don't seem to like them. Even the xara.com has no favicon

What is a favicon

As far as different program shortcut icons for different Xtreme versions. It's simply to create and assign your own without having to hack the .exe
    Just create the (correct sized) graphic in Xtreme, copy it to the clipboard, open it in IrfanView, save as .ico then customise the shortcut.