Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Xara Xtreme/Pro 4 Reviews

I thought I'd start a thread listing all the reviews for Xara Xtreme/Pro 4.

Computer Shopper/PCPro has a review out today for standard Xtreme 4. The verdict is good.

If there are any more reviews people stumble across, here would be a good place to list them.

Default Re: Xara Xtreme/Pro 4 Reviews

Personally I thought it a very weak review.

The conclusion isn't very flattering either.

Despite its many new features, Xara Xtreme 4.0 can't claim to be a dedicated bitmap editor, 3D modeller, web designer or DTP application. However it does manage to bring together many of these applications' separate strengths within its own vector-based illustration environment, and thanks to its blistering speed, it makes accessing all this power child's play .......
    I don't recall Xara even attempting to make an such claims.

'Childs-play'? Yep - that will encourage CD and Illustrator users to check it out.

Well, while it's not a sensational review, still we've got "PC pro RECOMMENDED". Which is, at least positive.

The conclusion isn't very flattering either.
    But the 'verdict' is:
    Verdict: A raft of new features combine with Xara's unbeatable speed and a bargain price - it's an irresistible mix.
    John.

I can't see anything wrong with the conclusion: Xara Xtreme 4 comes with bitmap filters and the usual bitmap "manipulation" functions, but it offers no further integration of bitmap "painting" functions or functions that "acts" like in a bitmap programme (for example a missed Paint Bucket/LivePaint tool). So, you can't call it a real Bitmap Editor. The offered 3D extrusion functions don't allow to call Xara Xtreme 4 a real 3D modeller. Xara Xtreme 4 also misses some important functions needed in a real DTP application, so you can't call it a DTP application. But Web Design is possible with Xara Xtreme 4, as it was in the last 15 years.

I remember a lot of customers requested over and over more vector functions and also some great functions you're able to find in competition products (Open Source products included). Instead we see playtools like Xara 3D and tools from different vendors like the Panorama tool or the Magix photo tool together with a new copy protection included in our beloved Xara Xtreme.

It's a long way to go.

Remi
    Last edited by remi; 09 May 2008 at 09:36 AM.

Review 2:

http://thephotofinishes.com/xaraxtreme4.htm

It's a much less traditional review.

There's a few things that are worth commenting on: "The one drawback - the plugins, both Xara's own and 3rd party, take 10 to 50 seconds to work on huge bitmap images - depending on the bitmap original size, the plugin and how many are in the stack."
    This delay is due to the inefficiency of the plugins; they take a long time to render. Xara can't be blamed for this.

Also: "The only only thing that is missing is a set of perspective transforms."
    Erm...Mould tool?

The review also criticises the complexity of the html generated which is difficult to edit elsewhere manually--something for Xara to bear in mind in future updates.
    Last edited by Xhris; 13 May 2008 at 10:49 PM.

The view of blog designers who use Xara in tandem with other programs. Not gushing, but some good comments:

"...Xara EP4 has amazingly for the first time managed to export brilliantly to Adobe Illustrator, and we have sent various printers files exported from Xara EP4 to PDF and had no problems whatsoever with getting our artwork printed."

"With super fast real time rendering of effects such as gradients, bevels, shadows and colours, alongside one of the simplest and effective user interfaces we have used – Xara has the ability to make our clients stare in amazement as we build a full design concept before their cup of tea has had a chance to cool down!"
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64