Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default AVI into Painter problems

I am trying to start a new rotoscope project and have moved from Mirage to Painter.

When I Open and AVI I get an error message "No decompresser found for this AVI file".

I believe that it may be a codec problem though am unable to find any answers about it.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks
    IP

Default Re: AVI into Painter problems

You do need to check that your codec for playing .AVI formats is up-to-date.

I tested it out on my PC (XP).

First I tried to open an .AVI file. I got the same error code "No decompressor found for this AVI file".

Next I went to this webpage http://avicodec.duby.info/, which is recommended by Corel in one of their support docs. There you can download a program AVIcodec, which is free, which checks what format your .AVI is coded with. I knew my particular file was DivX. Though I don't think downloading this program is particularly essential unless you're desperate to find out exactly what code you have.

I knew I already had some codec packs on my PC, but figured they were out of date or something. The above webpage also has links to various sites to download Codec packs (click the Codec Pack link at the top of the page), including a Mac link (I think - here's a link to the Mac page HERE).

I chose The K-Lite Codec Pack, having a vague memory of the name. I chose the Full version (there are 5 versions from Basic to Mega).

Anyway I downloaded it, installed it (in choosing how much to install I chose 'Lots of Stuff', because I didn't know what I'd need), when boxes came up saying I had older versions of things I removed them first.

Then I tried opening the .AVI file in Painter again and Eureka... no probs.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Fes; 08 May 2008 at 12:33 PM.
    IP

Thanks Fes, Will give it a go and see how things go.

Cheers again.
    IP

No problem. Hope it works for you.
    IP