Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi everybody,
    Can somone help me with the procedure to cut a small section from a circle created with the circle tool.
    A recommended procedure does not work for me: selecting the object,converting to editable shapes and using the shape editor tool and break at points butten which does not become active.
    How do I go wrong?

Point of interest: The nudging function in my C.Xara2 works only when I press and hold
    Ctrl-Alt key.
    So long KS
    IP

Hi everybody,
    Can somone help me with the procedure to cut a small section from a circle created with the circle tool.
    A recommended procedure does not work for me: selecting the object,converting to editable shapes and using the shape editor tool and break at points butten which does not become active.
    How do I go wrong?

Point of interest: The nudging function in my C.Xara2 works only when I press and hold
    Ctrl-Alt key.
    So long KS
    IP

I guess it worked well at least until you got the nodes selected one at a time and selected Break at Point for each?
    After that you have to deselect the circle (i.e. by pressing Esc) and after that it would just be to drag either part from the other.

-Paul
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

IP

KS

I think your missing one important step here.
    1. produce circle using circle tool
    2. with this circle selected use "convert to shapes.
    3. with the shape editor tool, select one of the four points
    4 The "break at points button now becomes active.
    5. Press this button.
    6. Use the "delete point" button which will give you three quarter circle.
    7. Continue using a combination of shape editor tool to add points were required and delete point button to remove points.

As for the nudging problem I can't help. Your system should be able to nudge using combinations of of "shift/ arrow", "alt /arrow", "ctrl / arrow" or just the "arrow" alone keys to move objects or nodes to varying degrees. It could be that you have the
    "utilities, options, general, nudge size"
    set strangely or or using a "lock to grid" function inappropriately.

Hope this helps.

Egg. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Two simple ways:

1. Draw a circle - Draw a line (freehand or line editor tool) to intersect circle as required (make sure the line extends beyond the 'squared boundary' of the circle) - select both circle and line - select ARRANGE/COMBINE SHAPES/SLICE SHAPES.

2. Draw a circle - draw a polygon representing the shape to be cut out - place the polygon on the circle as required - select ARRANGE/COMBINE SHAPES/SUBTRACT SHAPES.

This avoids bothering with converting to editable shapes etc!

Hope this helps.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2" color="#FF0000">robings
    </font>
    IP

Nudging with Ctrl or Alt does big nudges. Just the arrow keys does micro nudges. Look really close. You are nudging.
    IP

This is a belated thank you to Robings, Egg, Paul and Justin for your helpful suggestions.
    All worked well. I am using Robings'approach for cutting a section from a circle.

My nudging problem turned out to be a bit embarrassing. From old times I am used to turn off the NumLock key and use the arrows in the numbers pad. Indeed this did not and does not work well with the nudging function, only with the Ctrl/Alt key held down.
    With the standard arrows key pad all is well.
    Thanks again.
    Kurt
    IP