Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Editing Sheets of Music

I have some music sheets I want to scan and then edit a little to get rid of some marks and some other problems. Is this a task for Xara or should I use a pixel editor á la Photoshop (I've been using Paint.net)?

If Xara does it, what would the procedure be?
    www.sound-creations.net

Music for films, games, media, etc..

Default Re: Editing Sheets of Music

can the sheet music and then open them up in Xtreme. Then you can cover up the marks that you want to fix.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

I think Bruce meant "Scan" not "can".

There are sheet music programs out there, that when you use the notes on a midi keyboard and it will layout the music for you. They can even create a midi file for you. I have seen them advertised, but I am no musician (I can only play the stereo). There are several Musicians here. Maybe some of them can point you in the proper direction.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

John Giannis wants to remove marks and blemishes from the sheet music he has scanned in (as images).
    He's asking if a pixel editor is best suited or if Xara Xtreme can accomplish the cleaning up.

Nothing to do with creating electronic sheet music or midi files.

Xtreme can indeed clean up blemishes as Bruce has said.
    Depending on the blemish, simply cloning the image, intersecting with a shape an adjacent clean area of the image, then placing it ontop the blemish with a little feathering works well. I use this method for removing marks from faces, and (as Yoda may say) "Work well this method does "

This video is an extension to what you are trying to do which may help.

Thanks for all the tips! I'm looking into it now.

Very nice video tutorial. Great!
    Last edited by Giannis; 06 May 2008 at 01:29 PM.
    www.sound-creations.net

Xhris, excellent tutorial and technique! Thanks! (I bet the women in the States just love your accent!)
    -=Bob=-

Quote Originally Posted by raynerj1 View Post
    I think Bruce meant "Scan" not "can".

There are sheet music programs out there, that when you use the notes on a midi keyboard and it will layout the music for you. They can even create a midi file for you. I have seen them advertised, but I am no musician (I can only play the stereo). There are several Musicians here. Maybe some of them can point you in the proper direction.
    If you've just got the one piece of music then I would use Xara or MS Paint.

If you have lots to do then the king of apps is Sibelius. It includes scanning and OMR (Optical Music Recognition) software (PhotoScore) so it will read the music sheets in and allow you to redo your layout completely. (I find it useful for producing quick part extraction, transposition, sideways and minuture scores.) The best OMR functionality requires an upgraded version of PhotoScore. Here's the bad news... £595 plus maybe an upgrade to full PhotoScore. :-(

(Notes... I just looked at your website. You seem to be quite into your music so it may be worth looking at PhotoScore Ultimate as it can export the scans to MusicXML & NIFF which might be supported by your existing music printing application.)
    Last edited by DocBambs; 06 May 2008 at 03:13 PM.

I found a small app (IrfanView) that let me set the color depth and it pretty much ruled out alot of marks. The rest of the I edited out - not using Xara this time but Serif PhotoPlus 6 which is a quite nice free software.

I know Sibelius is a great piece of software, I would've loved to have if it wouldn't have been so expensive. It beats the competion at those graphical tasks which I occationally need.

Anyway... Thanks for all the tips!
    www.sound-creations.net

Along similar lines to Xhris' video - a method I use regularly in Xtreme was decribed here