Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Ever since I switched to my new Gateway GP-7 P-III 800mh computer, My CorelDraw 9 keeps locking up on me mid-job. Same software I used (and still use) on my Gateway GP6- Pentium II 350mh (no problems on that machine). But on my 800, I keep getting "Unexpected Error" messages that, as often as not, don't allow me to save the job I'm working on.

I have followed just about everybody's suggestions for cures. I have:
    > installed the most recent Patch (#2), so I am now at version 9.439.
    > eliminated potential IRQ conflicts (there were a few).
    > had my system thoroughly checked by a qualified professional for hardware issues
    > upgraded to Windows ME
    > tweaked, twisted and twiddled virtually every setting I could think of.

I even took the drastic (and time-consuming) step of re-formatting my h/d and completely re-installing everything.

My Gateway has 256mb RAM, a 20gb h/d (which is only about 1/4 full), an 800mh Pentium III and a 133mh cache. We have just installed a central server, but that did not change the problem I have been having (we were hoping it would). I do not experience this problem with any other application (I use PageMaker, MSWord 2000, Picture Publisher 8, OmniPage 10, and others). The size or complexity of the Corel file does not seem to have any effect on the problem. I can usually force it to occur by doing a lot of "nudging."

Am I crazy...or is 800mh just too fast for CorelDraw9?
    IP

Ever since I switched to my new Gateway GP-7 P-III 800mh computer, My CorelDraw 9 keeps locking up on me mid-job. Same software I used (and still use) on my Gateway GP6- Pentium II 350mh (no problems on that machine). But on my 800, I keep getting "Unexpected Error" messages that, as often as not, don't allow me to save the job I'm working on.

I have followed just about everybody's suggestions for cures. I have:
    > installed the most recent Patch (#2), so I am now at version 9.439.
    > eliminated potential IRQ conflicts (there were a few).
    > had my system thoroughly checked by a qualified professional for hardware issues
    > upgraded to Windows ME
    > tweaked, twisted and twiddled virtually every setting I could think of.

I even took the drastic (and time-consuming) step of re-formatting my h/d and completely re-installing everything.

My Gateway has 256mb RAM, a 20gb h/d (which is only about 1/4 full), an 800mh Pentium III and a 133mh cache. We have just installed a central server, but that did not change the problem I have been having (we were hoping it would). I do not experience this problem with any other application (I use PageMaker, MSWord 2000, Picture Publisher 8, OmniPage 10, and others). The size or complexity of the Corel file does not seem to have any effect on the problem. I can usually force it to occur by doing a lot of "nudging."

Am I crazy...or is 800mh just too fast for CorelDraw9?
    IP

Wizofadz,

>>Am I crazy...or is 800mh just too fast for CorelDraw9?>>

Ummm... you're crazy! Sorry, couldn't resist. Draw 9 runs here all day long on a PIII 800 and I have run it on two other systems without even a hiccup. The one thing you didn't mention what graphics board you are using. Draw has always been sensitive to video drivers and your being able to repeat the error by simply using the nudge keys makes me think that might be the problem. Have you tried restarting Windows in safe mode (I presume ME has that) and then try to reproduce the crash?

Craig
    IP

The video driver in my Gateway is an NVIDIA DirectDraw 1.0, software version 4.0.
    IP

Have the same card here. You might want to try new drivers:

http://www.nvidia.com/products.nsf/h...etonator3.html

but I would try Safe Mode first. Mine worked fine with old drivers.

Other than that, is there anything running in the background (Ctrl>Alt>Delete)? If so you could try shutting them down and see if that makes a difference. What printer drivers do you have installed?

Wish I could be of more help.

Craig
    IP