Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default NavBar in Dreamweaver

I created a NavBar in Xtreme Pro 4 and can't figure out how to place it in Dreamweaver. I used Export from the NavBar tool bar and it exported button images and .html pages into Dreamweaver. I want to place the NavBar in the header of existing Dreamweaver pages.

Found an article in the Knowledgbase "Xara Xtreme Tutorial April 2007", (http://www.xaraxone.com/tutorials/apr07/). Pasted below is a paragraph from this article that I thought would be the answer. I checked it out and didn't seem to help. Can you offer any suggestions?

Dreamweaver and FrontPage Users: The next question is OK, now that I have created this nifty back bar and buttons, how do I get all this into my web page creation application? Fair question and one for which Xara has the simple answer. Click here for the info. The instructions are written for Webstyle but work for Xara as well.
    Last edited by hotrodsue; 20 February 2009 at 04:59 PM.

Default Re: NavBar in Dreamweaver

I was hoping someone would have the answer. C'mon people, we need help here.

At any rate, here's what I do in NetObjects Fusion, my web creation program for large websites. Create your graphics in Xtreme, export them out and build the nav bar in Dreamweaver or NetObjects using your graphics.

Hi,
    It has been long time using dreamweaver but you have to manually created the "Mouseover states" within Dreamweaver using DW's code. It used to be on side bar then link to Xara's various images.
    I haven't got DW isntalled and this refers to Dreamweaver MX version.
    Jim

If your are using the HTML export you can get to work in DW if you tidy up the code. If you are using the slice and dice with the Nav bar don't as it doesn't really work. If you make your Nav bar in Xara and export the bar and then assemble in DW as Jim states it's the best way to go.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Yes, this is a new challenge for me. In the past, I've used Webstyle 4. In Dreamweaver (DW) I go to Insert/Webstyle 4/NavBar. It launches Webstyle, I create NavBar. I save and I'm returned to DW with the NavBar in place. Xara Xtreme Pro is not available to be launched from within DW. Is there instruction on that? Do you think that might be a resolution?

In Xtreme Pro 4, I've created a custom NavBar. I can export to save to a folder in DW. By default it creates a blank .html page for each button, and the button images. There is java script within each .html page too. If I try to just cut and paste the NavBar from the blank .html and place them in my .html pages already designed, I'm missing the java.

I'm going to try to upload the pages so you can take a peek.

Yes, DW does have an easy way to had rollover buttons, however, I could only have 2 button states, and I need 3 states. I want the selected state to indicate which page you are on.

Sorry for being so long. Wanted to get accurate information in the hopes of getting some help. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks so much.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Attached Files Attached Files

Actually NetObjects Fusion creates four button states: Normal, Normal MouseOver, Highighted (the current page) and Highlighted MouseOver.

Here's a very simple site done in NetObjects Fusion that has 4-state nav buttons. The buttons are generated automatically by NOF.

Is there any way you can substitute a button in Dreamweaver to use on the current page?

This is easy to do in Xtreme except it is not automatic. But you can create three state buttons, mouse off, mouse over and mouse down.

You just create a MouseOver and MouseDown layer and copy the appropriate button state to each layer.

I've attached a ZIP file with a three state button that links to the same page.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	button.png 
Views:	220 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	56561  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gwpriester; 21 February 2009 at 05:13 PM.

Hi Hotrodsue,

I just reread your first post and see you used the old Navbar Tool to create the images and the html files. The new HTML export feature of Xtreme 4.0 replaces the older Navbar Tool.

To my knowledge there is no way to have DreamWeaver launch Xara Xtreme 4.

If you follow Scotty's advice you can use the images exported by the Navbar Tool within DreamWeaver to create your navbar. DW will create the code for you. The html files exported by the Navbar Tool would not be required.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update