Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Pop-up & Stay up

I am trying out Xara, and from what I am experiencing this is a definite buy for me. I have no graphics or web design experience but Xara, this forum, the Xara Xone and the video tutorials make it a lot easier to learn.

I followed the Xara Xone Workbook on web site creation and I am now trying to create one of my own with a few extras.

I inserted a picture (that's easy) and would like to show a title and a short description when you mouse over and the same picture & title with a long description when you click on the picture or the short description or the word "More..." (i.e. a link) ending the short description.

The other feature is a download link. How can I put in a link that will cause a file (e.g. a product brochure) to be downloaded (or uploaded) when clicked.

Can anyone help?

Thank you

Laurent

Default Re: Pop-up & Stay up

Quote Originally Posted by ldup View Post
    The other feature is a download link. How can I put in a link that will cause a file (e.g. a product brochure) to be downloaded (or uploaded) when clicked.
    For the web address link to an object or text, just type the URL to the resource (file) you want as the download. eg; http://www.myhost.com/files/brochure.pdf
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 22 April 2008 at 03:47 AM.

Thank you sledger.

I am still testing the pages locally. So I used "file:///c:/test.pdf" as the URL. It works. What will happen when I upload the web site to the web server? Do I need to use a URL like "http://www.mysite.com/files/test.pdf" Could it be an URL that is relative to the page being viewed.

Usually the web site is located on the host server in a folder named "public_html" If I create a sub-folder named "files", how can I point to files stored in that folder. Could I also reference files stored under "public_ftp" (same hierarchy level as public_html)?

Thank you

Laurent

If I create a sub-folder named "files", how can I point to files stored in that folder.
    In the Web address box type: files/brochure.pdf
    If you include the link in pages that are NOT in the root (/public_html/) then you need to change this to ../files/brochure.pdf
    The double-dot+slash ( ../ ) is so that referrence is from the domains public_html root first.

Could I also reference files stored under "public_ftp" (same hierarchy level as public_html)?
    No - you'd likely need to setup FTP username/password logins to use this.