Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Colors on Separate Layers? (for shirt Contest)

Hi Xara Users,

The last time I had a question, there were some very helpful people and I thank you for that. Right now I'm trying to enter a shirt contest (you may be familiar with it, it is called "Shirt.woot"). I have a design submitted, but, there is something I don't know how to do and I was wondering if you have time to explain how to do this.

This is what the contest asks for that I don't know how to do:

In order for us to print your shirt, we'll need you to provide a detailed 16"x20" 300 DPI file layered with each color on a separate layer in AI, PSD, SVG or PDF format. We will also accept a ZIP archive.
    Thank you!

Default Re: Colors on Separate Layers? (for shirt Contest)

Hi Survie,
    Because this question is quite complex and I don't know what software you have bar Xara like Acro Pro what I suggest that you do is to press F1 and either do a search for "Imagesetting" or go to the index and click on the topic. Then when you have read that please come back and we will try to answer your questions on the subject.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Hi,

I am using Xara Xtreme 3.2 (not pro). I read the help files on imagesetting as well as layers but I still don't know what to do. What I'm trying to do is prepare a file (or files) that is my image with each color on its own layer. I'm only using 4 colors.

One way to do this would be to try to separate the multi-color objects and then put all the objects that are light blue on one layer, all the red objects on another layer, etc, but I was wondering if there is an easier way to do this because while this could be possible for this design, it might not be for other designs. (I don't know how to even do this idea I just mentioned).

I was hoping that there was a box I could check or something labeled "give each color its own layer."

Quote Originally Posted by SURVEI View Post
    I was hoping that there was a box I could check or something labeled "give each color its own layer."
    There's no such facility in any version of Xtreme (or any other Xara version).

Paul

Not really true Paul. Survei have a look at this workbook that Gary produced: http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/workbook27/page_4.htm

If you have problems always check on the Xone to solve them the whole site is a great recourse which Gary and a few others should be proud of. After reading that if you still have problems give us a shout. Good reading material up there as well so that you can understand the difference between RGB, CMYK and Pantone as maybe your colours that you used could be pantone all depends on design.
    Last edited by Albacore; 22 April 2008 at 09:41 AM.

I was actually interpreting the comment as give each colour a seperate Xara layer, rather than a colour separated print. So I'm both wrong and right.. LOL

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by SURVEI View Post
    Hi Xara Users,

The last time I had a question, there were some very helpful people and I thank you for that. Right now I'm trying to enter a shirt contest (you may be familiar with it, it is called "Shirt.woot"). I have a design submitted, but, there is something I don't know how to do and I was wondering if you have time to explain how to do this.

This is what the contest asks for that I don't know how to do:

Thank you!
    Hi SURVEI

There are a couple of ways you can do this. If you open up the help file, click on the index tab, and type in Separations Dialog, it will show you how to separate the picture into its 4 composite colors. Below you can see a screenshot of that dialog.

To get that into a PDF file, you can download and install the free Cute PDF Writer. This utility looks like a printer to the operating system, and then you can print out the four different separations.

This is kind of a quick-and-dirty solution, but as high-resolution is not critical in this case, that might be the way to go.

If you want to see about exporting more high-resolution PDFs for prepress, you might want to look at these topics in the help file:
    • PDF Export Filter Settings: Pre-Press Options
    • PDF Export Filter Settings: Layer Options
    • PDF/X

Also, please be aware that the colors you see on the screen are going to be rather different than what gets printed. If you want to see a closer approximation to the way the printed colors will look, go to the menu bar at the top of Xara, click on Windows. From the drop-down box, point to "show printer colors." Then click on "simulate print colours."

You can also see what the separations will look like from there.

Good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ColorSepDialog.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	48246  
    Regards,

Alan
    The unexamined life is not worth living--Socrates

You are right Paul. Sorry I wasn't pointing you to the workbook and I have edited the first line, I was trying to get Survei to have a look. Sorry Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by alanstancliff View Post
    ...If you open up the help file, click on the index tab, and type in Separations Dialog, it will show you how to separate the picture into its 4 composite colors...
    I believe this only comes with the Pro version of Xtreme, and is therefore not an option for Survei unless he upgrades. Unless he upgrades, he'll probably have to manually put his colors on different layers before exporting. Depending upon the complexity of his graphic, this may become quite difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil View Post
    I believe this only comes with the Pro version of Xtreme, and is therefore not an option for Survei unless he upgrades. Unless he upgrades, he'll probably have to manually put his colors on different layers before exporting. Depending upon the complexity of his graphic, this may become quite difficult.
    Yes Dave,

I believe you are quite correct.

http://www.alanstancliff.com/images/divide.gif

Hi Survei,

If you don't want to pony up the difference for the PRO version of Xara, you might consider downloading the open-source and free desktop publishing program Scribus. I haven't used it myself, but I've heard good things about it. I'm sure there's a bit of a learning curve involved.
    Regards,

Alan
    The unexamined life is not worth living--Socrates