Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi folks.

I'm talking about the lightning bolt in the center of the picture and the different colors on each side. I've tried the glow effects on each side of the lightning bolt but I can't get it to be different colors on each side while remaining white in the middle while having the color shade over the two different pictures & background images.

I would appreciate any help on this. I've tried everything. <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre>
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IP

Hi folks.

I'm talking about the lightning bolt in the center of the picture and the different colors on each side. I've tried the glow effects on each side of the lightning bolt but I can't get it to be different colors on each side while remaining white in the middle while having the color shade over the two different pictures & background images.

I would appreciate any help on this. I've tried everything. <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre>
    IP

Use 3 bolts? Copy the original, modify them with glow then cut out half.
    Just messing around.
    IP

Thanks, man.

I've tried it, though, but it didn't work out. I've duplicated the layer 4 times to get the white in the middle but, there also the same color on BOTH sides of the lightning bolt and it mixed with the other colors thus making a big mess.

So.... back to the drawing board and looking for some assistance with a tutorial.
    IP

Did you try layer masks?
    IP

Hi.

No. I don't know anything about layer masks. I read about people using them, but, they confuse me for some reason. I know I'm in need of help bad.

:-)

Maybe I can find a book or something on layer masks so that I can better understand them.

Thanks for the reply.
    IP

Mark (the keeper) had a nice tut on layer masks on his site http://www.photoshopgurus.com/ ...

... but for some reason I can't seem to navigate back there without a password http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif
    IP

aaagh! ya sorry about that password crap guys! The owner of my server did some maintenance yesterday and screwed something up!

Hopefully i can reach him in the AM and get him to fix it.

Dang it... sorry.
    IP

I managed to do it no sweat.
    What I did was draw the lightening bolt in white using the pencil tool on a new layer then duplicate the layer twice. I used eye candy gradient glow in red on one mask and blue on the other. Then using the polygonal lasso tool I cut out the opposing halves. If you bring the original bolt forwrd you have the white line.

I liked the effect better when I took the original bolt and used gradient glow white over top and reduced the opacity.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just messing around.
    IP

Cool.

That's it! Thank you so much everybody!

I shall give this a try.

Thanks so much again. Plus, I will check out that tutorial of Marks.
    IP