Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Make folds for cloth?

Hello!

I'm asking for tips on how to make folds, to make clothes more realistic with Adobe Photoshop. I'm not an advanced user so I haven't figured that out, yet.

Is there any way to make nice folds? I've tried playing little with the burn and dodge-tools, but I guess I'm too much of a beginner to get that working.

Anyone that can help me out?
    IP

Default Re: Make folds for cloth?

Welcome to TG Galdorn..

Drawing clothing and folds pretty much begs for a graphics tablet, though you might get good with just a mouse.
    There are plenty of tutorials for drawing clothing on the web, Google for 'Drawing Manga' or 'Drawing Anime' you'll soon find some.

Sketching on paper to get the idea first before trying with PS is often a good start.

Shown are some my early practices with folds, not great but it helped me a lot.

Good luck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	folds.gif 
Views:	1057 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	47907  
    IP

Talking Re: Make folds for cloth?

One way to make fabric fold in a realistic fashion is to use the liquefy filter in Photoshop. If when you load your image in the filter you use the freeze brush to paint areas that stay put in a rough pattern of the folds you want, then with the move brush (top left) on a low pressure setting just paint over the non frozen parts of the image.
    Now click OK and you have that typical displacement of patterns that you get with fabric folds. To finish all you need is a very low setting on the dodge and burn tool to look realistic.
    IP

Nice sketches there Sledger!
    I cant sketch that good in adobe yet. And I dont have a tablet. Maybe I should get one?

The ting is, that I'm trying to do skins and clothes for a game in witch you can use it on you character or sell it to others. Im trying to do my first t-shirt and I don't wanna have it all flat with no shadows or no folds. I want it to look good enough for my ugly char to wear.

But maybe I will get a tablet.

RTW1: Thanks, I will give it a try!
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Galdorn View Post
    Nice sketches there Sledger!
    I cant sketch that good in adobe yet. And I dont have a tablet. Maybe I should get one?

The ting is, that I'm trying to do skins and clothes for a game in witch you can use it on you character or sell it to others. Im trying to do my first t-shirt and I don't wanna have it all flat with no shadows or no folds. I want it to look good enough for my ugly char to wear.

But maybe I will get a tablet.

RTW1: Thanks, I will give it a try!

You might try Art Rage 2.5 for $25 US you get a program that does a pretty good job sketching with the mouse and works with Photoshop.
    IP