Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default thumbnail preview lost!

Since installing v4 I've lost my thumbnail preview. See pic! Is there an option that is now set to off?

In v3 (can't remember others) you could see the thumbs even when browsing My docs!

Turan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbs.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	47793  

Default Re: thumbnail preview lost!

Me too, but I got them back again by reinstalling 3.2. I them had to repair install 4 to get the file associations sorted as everything opened in 3.2 by default and I couldn't persude it to do otherwise by usual methods. Alternative is the wait for the CD to install from which can't be long now.
    Derek

alternatively, you can run http://www.xaraxone.com/XarThumbnailViewer1-2.exe - fixed my exact problem.
    Glenn

Glenn, have you rebooted your machine since installing the XarThumbnailViewer and checked that Windows Explorer still shows the .xar thumbnails correctly?

yes I did and yes they do.
    Did you find that to be a problem?
    Glenn

Glenn thumbnails work fine for me in Vista Ult' and probably becuase I have v3.2 still installed - I do however have XPPro SP2 running as a virtual machine for testing purposes and was able to confirm the lost thumbnails views this way. I also found that the XarThumbnailViewer restored them as you have found. But after rebooting XP, explorer shows no thumbnails again even though the viewer is still installed. This is why I wanted to check with you.
    I'm sure Xara will get right onto this and, hopefully in time for the CD release.

it was odd - up until I lost the thumbnails, I had XXP 3.2 installed with the v4 version. After the second release - 4/8 I lost the thumbnails.... all was fine before that. I cleaned everything out (removed both and purged registry) and only installed the latest v4 pro. No thumbnails until the XarThumbnailViewer was run. I don't know what it does because I don't see it running in the process listing. Maybe it just fixes the problem when you first run it.
    Glenn

Same thing happened to me. I installed 4 and as it behaved properly I removed 3.2. Then my thumbnails had gone. I installed the newer version of 4 and now its all working again. As someone said to me, it seems tobe the process of removing the program that gives problems. I would remove all instances of it and then install the latest version of 4 and that should fix you up.

Thanks for the replies - looks like there are several ways to fix it - I'll try them out.

Turan

On Earth for A Little While / With Christ for Eternity

Question Re: thumbnail preview lost!

I've installed the Xpro4 & my thumbnails are gone too! It wouldn't be so bad if the Clipart gallerys worked like they use to. Seems like 2 steps back, 1 step forward...

I'm using XP & I have not removed Xpro3.2. I've re-booted since install.

I'll try the thumbnail viewer, hopefully it'll work.
    ----------- _~o
    ----------- '\<,, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
    ><>____(_)/ (_) - in order to gain that which he cannot loose." JE