Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Creating dotted letters

Hi all,

I want to create some simple dotted letters for kiddies to trace over in a dot-to-dot fashion. I can create some text and convert to editable shapes, then apply a dot brush, but this gives me the complete outlineof each letter in dots, rather than a single stroke of dots. The only way I can think of getting around this is to draw letters freehand using a dot brush, which will be tedious to say the least. The plan is to do letters with more widely spaced dots or dashes as the kiddies get more adept.

Can anyone think of a better way to do this?

Thanks,

Mermaid

Default Re: Creating dotted letters

Hi sorry not quite getting the idea here when you say a single stroke of dots
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Hey Mermaid -- look where I live!

If I were trying to do it I think I'd start with either a scanned in line drawing or one I made in Xtreme. In either case it probably would have to be a relatively simple line drawing given the goal is to have it not be confusing or too detailed for the kids to tackle. After I had such a drawing I'd then make a new layer for my dots. I'd have the dot layer editable and the drawing layer locked but visible. I'd start by drawing a dot - just a simple circle that is fairly small. I'd position it over top of a logical node point in the drawing below. I'd proceed to drag and drop (right-click will drop a copy when you are dragging) placing dots on all the other node points.

My next step would be to add sequential numbers next to the dots in the order I want the child to connect-the-dots. [Because this could get crowded and confusing really quick - that's why I said I'd only do this with a really simple drawing]. Ideally the numbers would be carefully positioned relative to the dots so it was clear which number applies to which dot. [Important if you don't want to be teaching the kiddies to curse & swear].

When each dot is sequentally numbered I'd then make the layer with the line drawing invisible so all that's seen is the dots & their sequential numbers. This would be what was printed out for the kids. It could perhaps be enhance with a "Start Here" annotation near the first dot. Similarly you could annotate the 'End Here' point. If it was to be a pic of a dog you might add a title like 'A Great Pet' or something that provides a bit of a clue as to what they are drawing.

I hope this gives you some ideas.

Regards, Ross

Hi,
    here is my interpretation of what you are after.
    Create your text then open "line gallery" icon and select dashed patterns and apply.
    here is the xar
    dotted text.xar
    Jim

Sure, Type out your text in the desired font and size.
    - Select all text.
    -Then apply an outline.
    - Select no fill
    - Go up to the line gallery and select the dash pattern collection.
    - Select and apply the dash pattern that will give the desired look.
    - done.
    ( granted, this gives you dashes rather than dots, but the effect is similar )

- Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dot2dot-1.jpg 
Views:	548 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	47558  

OK, here's one I prepared earlier in best Blue Peter fashion...

http://www.octosys.co.uk/junk/tracingletters.gif

I made it over complicated when I described it as dot-to-dot, all I want is a simple line of dots forming the letters. I've tried the approach that Scotty and AndFarr have descrfibed, but this is too complicated for the age group I have in mind.

Mermaid

PS: my nickname is from my hobby - scuba diving
    Last edited by Mermaid; 05 April 2008 at 08:16 PM. Reason: more details

I would create a series of 3-5 small circles (dots) and then create a Brush.

Apply the brush to the letters, (no fill) and edit the line Width until the dots are the right size and then edit the brush and increase the spacing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DOTS.png 
Views:	601 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	47559  

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Those look great Scott,Andrew & Gary! When I was writing out my instructions I was thinking (ouch!) of pictures rather than letters. I guess I should have read the Mermaid's posting more carefully. I'm sorry but I was distracted by her being a Mermaid!

With regard to letters, Scott, Andrew, and Gary's examples show the overall outline of a blocky letter style. I know when my kids were little they would have seen such letters as 'Fancy' letters and I'm sure at the right age they would have enjoyed drawing them but I note such letters really wouldn't help them to learn to write better. When learning to print stroked letters it is important that the individual pencil strokes be in the right order and direction. Chances are you could find on the internet resources about the proper way to learn to hand stroke letters. If I'm not mistaken they will show them as you (mermaid) have shown them but with the addition of little arrows to highlight the way they should be drawn.

Regards, Ross
    Last edited by Ross Macintosh; 05 April 2008 at 08:20 PM.

If it is for non commercial purposes you could download a free font, perfectly made for the job..
    I remember my wife found one for our children a year ago.
    True love is the ultimate truth

Thanks everyone,

Ross - I've got some photocopied diagrams with dots and arrows, which I could scan and trace, but I would really like a quick way to generate words that they are familiar with, such as their names, Mummy & Daddy, etc, in quantities suitable to while away a rainy afternoon...

Any more thoughts? I've spent quite a while looking in the help to see if there's a way of converting a shape to a line, but can only find line to shape.

Mermaid