Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Exporting out of XaraLX

Hi, I'm pretty new to Xara but thought I'd give it a try for a poster I need. I've now drawn the poster and was quite happy with Xara... until I came to export.

If I try to export as SVG I get an error message saying the filter failed but gave to error message of its own.

If I export to PDF, I get a poor quality representation with white borders that aren't in the image (it seems to export the drawing despite being told to export the page).

If I export to eps, the text doesn't come out.

If I try to print, xara just seg faults.

Does anyone have any advice on what format I should use in order to get a high res version printed up. For reference, the poster is A3 landscape, I'm on openSUSE 10.3 and I've tried both r1692 and r1785 from the website (both behave poorly wrt exports).

Thanks very much for any help!
    IP

Default Re: Exporting out of XaraLX

At the moment its only possible to export to bmp, jpg and png. Some ppl on this forum have had success with exporting to other formats, check some of the newer post. I havent tried/needed such features so I cant say if it works.
    IP

Hi Roberth:
    I just tried a quick export into .psd, and opened it on my other computer in Photoshop 6, it looked fine. Did not try printing it out, I know .psd's will open in The Gimp. I have some writing (it's a compass) on that file. Think I changed those letters to editable shapes. Have you tried saving a copy of your poster with a different name, and with you text selected, either right click or under "Arrange", click on "Convert to Editable Shapes". Just make sure you do this on a copy in case you want to edit the text on your poster. Then export as an .eps and if the rest of the poster has printed ok, I would think the converted text shapes will print just fine.
    Good Luck!
    Scott
    "I do not think that I will ever reach a stage when I will say, "This is what I believe. Finished." What I believe is alive... and open to growth."
    Madeleine L'Engle
    IP

Shaman the question was referring to the Linux version of Xtreme (XaraLX). The Linux version does not have all the Windows version import or export filters.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Hi Bill:
    I got that. That is the only version I have and am aware the exports and imports aren't all there. But I was able to export to.psd from Xara LX and open it just fine in Photoshop 6 on my Windows/Linux dual boot. I can convert type to editable shapes in LX. Thought that might give him a workaround to be able to use the program and print his poster. The Gimp also handles .psd files and since it is available on Linux, as well as Windows, thought this might help.
    Scott
    "I do not think that I will ever reach a stage when I will say, "This is what I believe. Finished." What I believe is alive... and open to growth."
    Madeleine L'Engle
    IP

I was not aware there was a way to export to .psd from XaraLX.

Are you switching between Linux and Windows to do a conversion?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

hi roberth - the best you can do for the moment is making sure
    to save your poster in native xaralx format... if you have the *.xar
    file it is good for any other save or export.

if again you have the original file saved... in the print menu, you
    can choose to export the file as PS or postscript. This will get
    the file into a format most other programs can work with.

let us know how you are progressing with this

Quote Originally Posted by roberth View Post
    Hi, I'm pretty new to Xara but thought I'd give it a try for a poster I need. I've now drawn the poster and was quite happy with Xara... until I came to export.

If I try to export as SVG I get an error message saying the filter failed but gave to error message of its own.

If I export to PDF, I get a poor quality representation with white borders that aren't in the image (it seems to export the drawing despite being told to export the page).

If I export to eps, the text doesn't come out.

If I try to print, xara just seg faults.

Does anyone have any advice on what format I should use in order to get a high res version printed up. For reference, the poster is A3 landscape, I'm on openSUSE 10.3 and I've tried both r1692 and r1785 from the website (both behave poorly wrt exports).

Thanks very much for any help!
    IP

If you are trying to print, the best thing to do is to use the Print option rather than export. The code there is more complete. Try (for instance) printing to Postscript. It renders fine in Ghostview.
    IP

Sorry if I generated any confusion. The rundown on my setup: 1 older computer running Simply Mepis 7, latest, 1computer -3 months old running, Windows XP and Simply Mepis 7, latest, as a dual boot. I exported the file, as a .psd, from Xara LX on the Linux-only-computer to the new with Windows XP booted up. It opened fine in Photoshop 6. I just ran another test, clicking the "export each layer", the file opened fine in Windows XP, layers were flattened, but everything was there. Actually good to know since I sometimes take files from Xara into Photoshop/The Gimp to tweak, it's a better option than a .png.
    Now, if others can't do that on various other Linux distros, I might speculate that it might be due to the particular distro(s)/desktop environment/libraries that aren't dependencies of Xara LX. I'm running KDE desktops on both. I did see an example over a year ago. I had Photoshop set up to run with Wine on Vector Linux with both a KDE and an XFCE desktop installed. When I was in the XFCE environment Photoshop ran, when in the KDE desktop it wouldn't.
    Anybody else having similar experiences, or questions?
    And roberth, did any of this help get your poster printed?
    Scott
    Madeleine L'Engle
    IP

Hi all - thanks for the replies, and sorry for the slow response (been on holiday!). I have just returned to this problem and am not having much luck. If I try to print Generic Postscript to a file, I get a segmentation fault.

** (xara:1815): WARNING **: could not set the value of Settings.Document.Filter, node not found
    Segmentation fault

I'm starting to wonder whether I should just get the windows version (perhaps the 30 day trial will suffice to export into something useful!)...
    IP