Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Unhappy PDF nightmare!! Please help!!

Hello!

I'm really hoping somebody can shed some light on this as I'm tearing my hear out over it.

I have to make print ready PDFs with bleed and cropmarks for my job, however, although I can make high resolution pdfs using QuarkXpress and Acrobat Distiller, when I click on the cropmarks option everything goes wrong. When I try to make a PDF with cropmarks using the 'Export pdf' option I get an error message saying 'postscript driver has not repsonded' and there is nothing going on in the Adobe PDF pop-up window - usually you would be able to see it progressing. The other option is to make the pdf through the 'print' option in Quark, but this way a PDF is created but it's totally blank!!!

This seems such a ridiculous reason for my PDFs to not be working, and I have tried every setting and option in both Distiller and Quark to try and resolve this - no luck so far. Please help, this is really worrying me, I can't do my job properly.

Many thanks!!

Default Re: PDF nightmare!! Please help!!

Have you tried removing and reinstalling one of the programs?
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Default Re: PDF nightmare!! Please help!!

Don't go as far as John states how about posting the PDF if it is not too important in the way of copyright or anything like that and we can have a shot of sorting your problem out.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Unhappy Re: PDF nightmare!! Please help!!

Thanks for your replies!

The thing is, I have to PDF an entire magazine to go to print, so we aren't talking just one page here unfortunately.

I managed to add cropmarks to an existing PDF file in Acrobat Reader this morning, but it's far from a convenient way to do it, especially when I've got 132 pages to make and I'm not even certain the Printer will accept them.

I am baffled as to why the postscript driver would not respond simply because I clicked the cropmarks option on, it just seems completely bizarre. I've never encountered this problem before. It responds perfectly when the cropmarks option is off. I've just had my system upgraded and everything had been working so beautifully until this (in contrast to the constant problems I'd had with it before the upgrade), I am really disappointed this has happened. I was having problems making PDFs at all before the upgrade, which only improved the situation, so I don't think it can be that, and the software was re-installed at that time anyway. I hate not knowing how to fix this. I'm the only person doing design and production here, I have nobody within the company I can go to for technical advice or support and having spoken to the Mac guy who upgraded my system he doesn't seem to be familiar enough with Distiller to give much help. I feel really on my own with it and I'm struggling.