Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default the debian xaralx-svg plugin

excuse me for running this SVG discussion into the ground... but...
    Im wondering if anyone is using, or has tried, the debian xaralx-svg
    plugin ?

here is the blurb at debian site:
    "This package includes the plugin necessary for opening SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) files in XaraLX."

hmmm... well... we can do that already via the most recent xaralx
    release... it would be nice being able to do it from the menu (Im guessing)...
    but, is this description understated ? Can one also EXPORT SVG directly
    after installing this plugin ?

NOTE: the debian xaralx-svg plugin is listed in the SID archives... this
    is their next scheduled release - which is termed "unstable" until final release.
    Last edited by stuseven; 31 March 2008 at 03:46 PM.
    IP

Default Re: the debian xaralx-svg plugin

The Deb build works just the same as any other Linux Build

Anyone who has the latest xara lx build, no matter which distro.... the are using the same files.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by geminiguy View Post
    The Deb build works just the same as any other Linux Build
    Anyone who has the latest xara lx build, no matter which distro.... the are using the same files.
    stuseven puts on some hippie beads, and says to geminiguy:
    "whoa dude... right on !"

then stuseven takes off beads... and informs geminiguy of a slight problem regarding reply... there must be a difference here... the xaralx package and the xaralx-svg plugin /for/ that package are quite different.

...B-ZZZZZZZZZ... geminiguy loses ten points... next contestant please ! :-)
    IP

Are you referring to the "svgfilter.xml" and "svgfilterc.xml"??................ dude
    IP

Also... our conversations round here usually don't involve such arrogance and insulting under-tones
    IP

Are you referring to the "svgfilter.xml" and "svgfilterc.xml"??
    hmmm... Im not familiar with those by name, although it is likely
    they could be the two builtins which ship with xaralx, in which
    case I did refer to them in my original post... not specifically what
    I was asking about though.

EDIT: hmmm... I guess those two are in fact part of the debian
    package... and, may be the equivalent functions included with
    basic xaralx itself. Oh well... really, nobody has answered my
    question yet - whether or not the improved debian xara-svg
    plugin includes additional export functionality.
    Last edited by stuseven; 01 April 2008 at 09:16 PM. Reason: addition
    IP

Also... our conversations round here usually don't involve such arrogance and insulting under-tones
    oops... well... sometime attempts at humor are not understood...
    sorry you took offense at my game show parody !

Happy April Fools ! :-)
    IP

OK, fair enough... my apologies for mis-understanding.. now, back to the business.
    I am almost certain the Deb. files are the same and they mention the importing of svg, which yes we have always had....
    Stu, I believe they are the same filters used throughout the community. The import works fine (but only via drag n drop for me and may others) but the output is useless.
    I have even gone as far as copying every single svg filter and file from inkscape and W3 and trying to incorporate them into xaralx... to no avail ....
    I have yet to have success with your scribus conversion method, although admit I only gave one half-hearted attempt so far.
    I think the biggest point here is.... they are both completely separate softwares, which run on completely different formats... and both are as equally useful and powerful.
    I feel that sometimes .svg is too heavily over-rated within the Linux community and too many deem anything but .svg to be useless garbage?
    The problem for further development for xaralx, is first finding a dev or two who are not so "hung-up" on the subject of which engine to use and the "open-source" argument.
    Second.... is that those devs need to be fairly compensated for their work... even if it means simply donating to their desired cause.
    Thirdly, we need people like ourselves, and Dai, and Remi, etc..... who would love to see this project take flight again, who are willing to get involved and "assist" the devs, as opposed to the countless number of people who have done nothing but whine about what doesn't work with every revision they put out.

Charles gave us as much as could be asked..... and actually all that we need. But this was not good enough for many.. and I think much of the arguing which ensued in my opinion, only showed the Linux side to be spoiled, ungrateful babies.
    I mean... here is a man, who has one of the most powerful vector programs going... and it's a goldmine.... and he literally "gave" everything but the engine away, for free... unselfishly.
    As far as I'm concerned.... Linux wants the engine?? Fine.... cough up the dough to port it, and then cough up the $89.00 & up per copy respectively to version, just like everyone else does.... Why on Earth should he just give it over to Linux users for free when everyone else has to pay?? Think about it... That is what these Linux people working with xara wanted and expected??
    Too many people clearly misunderstand and misuse the term "open-source"

It's all up to users like us to handle it from here.... There is no blame to bestow upon Xara.... it was on "us". We were given a free Ferrari with no engine and whined about it
    I'm going to do what ever I can, when the right time comes (as I am busy with a few things right now)... and I'll do it alone if I have to (finding a dev that is). But, if I hear one more person say thay understand where the Linux devs were coming from... I think I'm gonna throw up.
    I love Linux... but not always sided with the militant views of some. I see many great softwares for linux which are not very popular (like Maya) because..... "Oh my God... you expect me to PAY for it??!!"
    More software companies would be willing to port to Linux..... if only everyone didn't expect to get it for free.
    I those companies stood to make a fair profit from porting.... they would do it in a heartbeat

I'd love to get together more n more on this Stu, I am not by any means very technically gifted... but I know what I want, and I'm willing to do what needs to be done to get it....... I really think if enough of us can pull together, and find the right people... this can happen, but until then... we should just enjoy what we have. Which is basically, a $90.00 software program for free
    IP

geminiguy - right... I have seen your comments on SVG here...
    seems this is a big interest of your's and mine, and many others.

In your reply, you did comment: "I have yet to have success with your scribus conversion method, although admit I only gave one half-hearted attempt so far."

On that point... there is really nothing to it, but, you need to burn a copy
    of the teenpup-2008 to do this with.

You know a lot of interesting history regarding [Xara for Linux] development !

So far as the entire SVG "problem"... I really feel it is largely a waste of time to debate why SVG support isnt better in the Linux version of Xara.
    Xara has, already, done a great job of incorporating SVG completely into
    their commercial release... so... all the work is done. What we're left with is more the issue... which you also discuss... of further developing xaralx. Porting the supposed free code over to Linux. I am not a code porter over
    to linux person. This is really where we should be looking... advertising
    for capable code porters.

Regarding your comments on funding continued xaralx development... this
    isnt going to happen, linuxwise. If a program isnt going to be freely distributed, and developed by volunteers, it isnt really going to be a Linux program at all.
    While there would likely be lots of people willing to pay for a commercialized linux compatible xara derivative, it wouldnt be feasible, when Inkscape and other programs provide virtually the same functionality for free.

The engine issue is another non-issue in my book. It simply is free to use.
    No other engine is needed, except to make xaralx fit some purist dream.
    Realistically, if we're going to use xaralx, we should also recognize where it came from.
    IP

I dont want to start a flamewar here or anything but, I dont think "spoiled, ungrateful babies" is the correct term here... I'll admit there were some real idiots posting on the mailing list, but every xaralx user isnt like that all. Learning to use linux takes more time than what a "spoiled baby" is ready to spend on learning something. And also the "spoiled baby" doesnt want anything for free cause he/she thinks if it isnt expensive it aint good, but its the parents that pay for it.

Most of the ppl who complain want "just works" and are willing to pay for it. But the fact that there isnt anything to pay for makes them look like trolls. Does Xara except donations?

Maya is professional-grade software with a price tag at about $2000. Thats more than what most amateurs are willing to spend on software (or can afford for that matter). That free (gratis) 3d software, that I cant remember the name of, starts looking like a good alternative if youre not serious about 3d stuff.

Oh and yes, why is it that whenever a linux user has negative views on something, most of the time they're tagged as the "spoiled-brat-wants-everything-for-free" guy/gal?

One more thing.. geminiguy, I was quite sure you were like this 18 year old kid. Imagine my surprise when I visited your picasa www-page. OMG youre 8 yrs older than I am, I thought I was like the oldest dude here or atleast close to! What I'm going for here is that internet forums/mailinglist/whatev dont really pass on what one person is trying to say or what the feelings behind a post are. One could think they were being very sincere and nice when writing but someone else will maybe read them as being insulting. A little like the first posts in this thread...
    IP