Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Linux version up to date?

Hello all!

I want to move from Windows to Linux.

I visited www.xaraxtreme.org and saw the latest news is from 2006.

So, I wonder is the the Linux version still maintained and up to date compared to the windows version?

Thanks in advance for answering the question!
    IP

Default Re: Linux version up to date?

Hello Starter83,

The Linux version was released as Open Source for the Linux community.

It appears that there are not many Linux developers that are providing continued support.

The short answer to your question is no. The Linux version is not up to date with the Windows version.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by starter83 View Post
    Hello all!
    I want to move from Windows to Linux.
    I visited www.xaraxtreme.org and saw the latest news is from 2006.
    So, I wonder is the the Linux version still maintained and up to date compared to the windows version?
    Thanks in advance for answering the question!
    I cant disagree with Soquili's response... but... it is important
    that you understand the available XaraLX is [fully working] in Linux...
    as many have commented here (including myself), xaralx is now
    included in several linux distributions, including debian and teenpup...
    so, again, you can use it now in Linux.

Of course, we all hope development of the xaralx project will continue.
    IP

I plan to open a source for people who are interested in trying to get some Linux devs to get back on it on my Linux Graphics Users forum
    I will soon add a "paypal" or other form of donation option to fund it..... The "only" way we are going to get any devs to be interested.... is if they know they will be fairly compensated for their efforts
    I will keep you all updated
    IP

So far I don't exactly know what features are missing compared to the current windows version. Is there maybe a comparison chart or something like this available?

The existing linux version looks very promising and as you say it is stable and usable.

But I believe it could scare potential users away that it 'seems' the software is outdated and not maintained anymore. Maybe that could also be another reason that additional linux developers are not more interested in contributing to the project.

Can a developer maybe outline what skills are needed to contribute to the project from a technical point of view (programming language etc.) and what could be a starting point for a developer (is there a to do list etc?).

Unfortunately, I suppose I don't have sufficient programming skills for a task like this right now. But I am willing to learn and contribute back in the future if possible. Also, maybe it is easier to find skilled linux developers if it is more transparent what specific skills are needed and what exactly has to be done.
    IP

They know what needs to be done.. or at least have an idea... What they want to know is... what's in it for them?
    This is not a bad thing... the skills required are exactly that...."skills" and noone likes to put countless hours into something without some form of compensation
    You have to understand, once a developer gets involved with a project... it literally somewhat consumes their life and time... not by choice, but by habbit and love of the business
    Such things can unintentionally pull one from family activities,etc. if involved enough and there needs to be something to show for it. Which is completely fair I think

I could not even tell you the amount of money Xara poured into this project already... but it's a lot
    IP

Not "all" inkscape devs contribute for free either... same goes for many Linux programs
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by geminiguy View Post
    They know what needs to be done.. or at least have an idea... What they want to know is... what's in it for them?
    I believe that is true at least for some experienced (pro) developers. Of course it would be great to have some lead/senior developers who are experienced enough to lead the project. That even might be a precondition to get the further development running. So your initiative to attract these kinds of experienced developers even with financial incentives seems to be very important.

Moreover, I assume it would also be good to address a larger base of beginner and intermediate developers. These developers often need more guidance and stuff like beginner tutorials and how tos. These kind of developers might not be able to directly contribute in the short run. But they can help with documentation, try to write not so essential code like easier plugins first, learn and become better and finally help improving the code base.

I also see a great chance here: Many designers and people more skilled in HTML/CSS stuff are looking to get a step into programming. It might be a good move to invite these people to join the project and give them some guidance. This could also help to expand the user base.

Also, the project could be more interesting for better developers if more people are involved and there is a larger and more active user community.
    IP

In order to understand the problems, see also the Xaralx progress thread from last year.

Remi
    IP

btw: All the necessary documentation for interested Open Source developers is available at http://www.xaraxtreme.org/developers/ and the following pages. There is also a mailing list available.

Good luck
    Remi
    IP