Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default To upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question.

Well got carried away with the Shakespearean in me there... I'm on Xara Xtreme 2.0e... it'd cost me a fortune (relatively speaking) to upgrade, but it'll need to happen I'm sure.... but by the time I do it there'll be another upgrade ... lol. Well, upgrading isn't an option really, will need to plonk for one of the various packages, either X or Pro.
    But I may go for one of the packages, what's the general consensus to go for? I am also thinking of SwishMax for Flash based stuff. Going for Max was mentioned to me in the past but never got around to it.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyD; 28 March 2008 at 04:47 PM.

Default Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question.

Hi Andy,

There is a patch available for version 2.0e that corrects some issues.
    http://www.xara.com/downloads/xtreme/patch2_0f.asp

As to whether or not to upgrade, only you can decide if it is worth the cost.

I am not a professional graphic designer but I upgrade because I love the program and enjoy using the new features.

In regards to Flash or SwishMax, I find SwishMax easier to learn.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I'm on Xara Xtreme 2.0e [...] upgrading isn't an option really
    No? The Xara site let me update from 2 to 4, I think it gave me something like $30 off. Not a massive difference, but it's certainly doable.

(I had dithered on the v3 upgrade because I wanted PDF import, but didn't really need any of the other extra features in Pro. Sorted nicely by the addition of some of the Pro features to Xtreme in v4.)

I guess , I am like Bill. I upgrade because I like the program and I enjoy using all of the tools.

If I was you , I would upgrade, also recommend Swish or Swish Max.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

I too will upgrade because I love the programme. I don't actually use it for anything except fun.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Personally I can't afford that much money just "for fun." I bought X1 more or less as a means to learn how to use the other Xara stuff and to see if I could put it to serious use because I got it really cheap. I now know that I'm using it more and more and like it more and more so I'll definitely upgrade (when I can afford it) and I'm looking forward to doing it. BTW I use Swishmax and other than their unlock system I get really nice results from it.

To be a little OffTopic.

SwishMax has also a new version out

Hans

I use XPro both for fun and professionally. I refer Xara to all my clients as an afforable alternative to the other drawing programs out there. Will I upgrade?

Hmmmm... How can I say this?

YES
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Been a user of Swish through to the current SwishMax2. Swish is a loaded program and can produce terrific results. You you really must put in TIME to learn to use it, for even the basic functions. The tools are not as intuitive as Xara's. And certainly not as fast. Course if sound is needed or other higher level features, I use SwishMax2.

Came to Xara from a recommendation for an inexpensive VECTOR graphics program. I can tell you that Xara Xtreme Pro is far more FUN to use and is far easier to learn the basics. The support forum is welcoming and the tutorial movies...they are the best! The program is addictive.

I downloaded the beta trial of version 4 of the Pro version of XX last night and will DEFINITELY UPGRADE to it! NO DOUBT. HIGHLY RECOMMEND you upgrade!

Depending on the type of flash you want to do, you may find that XXP's flash will work for you. I recently made 7 flash pieces for someone. 3 were made in Xara Xtreme Pro and the others were in SwishMax2. I expect to make more of those type pieces in XXP instead of SwishMax2 since the file size for the identical piece was smaller from XXP.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)