Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Default Re: Xara Xtreme verison 4

Just wondering if it will be backward compatible with previous version?

He behzad,
    Files created in earlier versions of Xtreme should all open fine, those I have tried do so.
    However files created in version 4 may not open as expected in earlier versions of Xtreme due to new features present in v4, which do not exist in previous versions.
    For example, using the extrude tool in a file saved with Xtreme4 will give you some problems in Xtreme v3 because v3 didn't have that tool.

Thank you dear mod.

Actually ver 4 does seem to have an issue with Bold/Italic font variants from ver 3. They're no longer supported in ver 4 and get substituted.

That's an warning I get when opening a few older files.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Dear Charles and Xara Team,

you've asked for some comments...

I've already posted this comment somewhere else in this forum, but I think it's in a better place right here:

Believe it or not, I still have Xara X1 installed on my machine, next to Xtreme Pro 3.02. Now there is Xtreme Pro 4.0.

X1 comes with a footprint of around 10 MB on my hard drive, X4 with 116 - that's a whopping 12 times as large! That much more for just multiple pages and text columns?

And all the stuff that's installed which I don't need or want at all - not really:

Photo Editor - now there are **2** different editors. I don't need a photo editor, because I already have three great professional photo editors (PhotoPaint, LightRoom and LightZone).

3D? I already have two 3D CAD systems (Cinema 4D and Rhino). A simple 3D function isn't good for a software with the term 'pro' in it!

And now I have yet another movie player I don't need or want.

Question: even though I understand that some people **might** like those features and the Xara team obviously doesn't want to offer a modular based kit (basic version, add / pay the modules you really need!), this is my biggest wish:

Please give us an installer which let's us choose which parts we want to install! Please, please, please!

I would be very happy again if I could deselect the installation of the movie player, the 3D option, the web function, the two photo editors!

I've just produced two large 80 page photographic books about Andalucía with Xtreme Pro 3.02 and it's multi page function - they are both perfect, really. And for those projects I really don't need the photo editors - they are just bugging me, because when I drop an image to the workspace and - working very fast - double click the image, the photo editor will start, forcing me to wait for ages because my images are around 13.200 x 8.800 pixels large (that's a whopping 130 megapixels from large format scans!). Please give us an option to disable the automatic pop-up of this pesky amateurish photo editor!

Please Xara , do something with these issues. It really shouldn't be such a big issue to modify the installer to give us a choice!

Other than that, try to optimize the code as you've done in X1 - small, fast code and not bloatware: not everyone of use wants to invest into new hardware...(I'm switching to Mac now because I can't stand Windoze anymore and definitely Vista is the wrong way to go).

Thanks a lot for listening and hopefully a better installer very soon - you'll win another happy pro user to upgrade to version 4.0 or 4.1 if you'll include these options.
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Hello to everyone, I'm new on this forum but I'm active user of xara since x1,
    I've just upgraded from 3.2 pro to 4.0 pro and unfortunately there is a big problem with backward compatybility! Files created in 3.2 pro crushed x4, program not respond!
    I'm a interior designer specialized in bathroom design and my document consist of many tiles (small bitmaps etc)
    Maybe somebody solves my problem?
    I'll send a copy of my file, if somebody want to try.
    regards, zusio

Many thanks for You,Boys but try to do something with this file: zoom in, zoom out, try to transform any object,
    when I try to zoom in x4, after few steps ,x4 not respond! (x4 version of this file too )
    regards, zusio
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by zusio; 07 April 2008 at 09:59 AM. Reason: a new idea

Welcome to TG zusio.

I had no problem opening your file in Xtreme4 (2 April).

I have resaved the file in Xtreme 4. See if this opens better for you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Hi zusio. Like Sledger I had no problem opening the file in version 4.0.4845 I also re-saved it and was going to upload but I see Sledger beat me to it. He is soooo fast!

Regards, Ross

ditto
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...