Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Front face only ?

Hi guys,

I have been looking at the Xara3D program recently and wanted to create the logo below, it does need to be a 360 spin however as when it snaps back to the start it ruins the effect I'm sure you'll agree.

Front Face Only is greyed out in my options bar and try as i might i cant enable it - just wondered if anyone had any ideas?

Full retail version X3d6.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	steelseries_overlay.gif 
Views:	248 
Size:	497.7 KB 
ID:	46784   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x3d_settings.gif 
Views:	246 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	46789  

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by uzi; 20 March 2008 at 07:46 PM.

Default Re: Front face only ?

That file is taking up an awful lot of resources, for some unknown reason, and is running really slowly.

It's not obvious to me why you would want the back face, as it seem sto work as it is. However, I'm not sure why the front face only option is greyed out, since it is running front face only.

Can you post the x3d file? so we can investigate.
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 20 March 2008 at 07:35 PM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Added the x3d file to the top post.

I have it set to spin slowly by making the fps30 and the fpcycle 120, it weighs in at nearly 500k - the usage the file is getting this isn't an issue however. I will almost certainly be using the file as an .swf ( example bright shiny red one here : www.theSGL.com ) also all settings have been set to highest, the quality of the output in paramount for me in this case

thanks for the assist!

There's no need for the file to be that big. It can be made much smaller, and if you are using it on a website, 500k is much too big.

I have no idea how you even got that file into X3D, it doesn't even seem to exist within the application, except that it does! So I can't help you at this point.

If you brought the text and the graphic into X3D as vector shapes, you can really make this work a lot better, and still keep the quality.

Please can you describe what you did to make this work...
    Keith
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by uzi View Post
    Added the x3d file to the top post.

I have it set to spin slowly by making the fps30 and the fpcycle 120, it weighs in at nearly 500k - the usage the file is getting this isn't an issue however. I will almost certainly be using the file as an .swf ( example bright shiny red one here : www.theSGL.com ) also all settings have been set to highest, the quality of the output in paramount for me in this case

thanks for the assist!
    you choose 'button' when you imported your shape into the program,
    choose 'text' and the front view only is ungreyed. look in the design options
    choose text, then import your design.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Thanks Ankhor, I missed that.
    Keith

Nice one, button/text , I wasnt aware of thathving only previously texture mapped buttons for my effects. Appreciated, no doubt I will be back again with some other random query.

It's not for web work by the way it will be part of a streamed broadcast that users only ever have to download once.

Name:	steelseries_overlay.gif 
Views:	236 
Size:	585.9 KB 
ID:	46795  

maybe a nice other option

(and I mean , keeping the text visible, not the other design )
    (didn`t want to infringe on copyrights )

Name:	steelqueries3.gif 
Views:	226 
Size:	280.3 KB 
ID:	46822  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ankhor; 21 March 2008 at 09:05 AM.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

I can see what you've done, but I can't quite see how . Looks like the top bit is on front face only (off) and the text is on front face only (on). This is where I start to come up short not really knowing the program - could you tell me the basic way you do this please?

Also on another thought, could I keep the logo text static whilst rotating the logo itself - that could well look pretty good too i think.

Uzi, Ankhor's X3D file has two pages, and each page is running with front face only, and in the second page the logo but not the text was reversed before being imported. So you are not actually seeing both faces of the same image but the front faces of two different images.

Xara3D runs through each page sequentially, so it would do a full front-face-only rotation of the first page, then switch smoothly into page two and do another front-face-only rotation, and go back to page one again.

As to your second question, as long as the text and the logo are different objects, and weren't imported as a single object into Xara3D, then you can select the text and untick the text box in the animation dialogue, and it will no longer spin while the logo continues to do so. You would need to do this for both pages. Alternatively, you could turn off FPO and dispense with the second page.

It's a nice logo, too.

I hadn't realised myself that buttons can only use a subset of some options, as I never have any need for buttons.

Mike