Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: from XaraLX to SVG... a round-about way

It was.. it has been added to the PCLOS repos after going through Tex

Now don't get me wrong though... the .svg filters are there, and you can import, but there is no functionality to gradients, or transparencies..
    Basically you can take layers apart but not right down to those features so, if you have an svg with a gradient / transparency... it will be just one object with no layers.

This is all the same as always... and might be long to resolve (if ever)
    Aside from this... xaralx is a very nice, fully functioning app (as far as it's intended first basic use using the .xar format)
    If it never provides full integration with .svg it is still a wonderful app on it's own and a great contribution to the Linux Community

What's difficult, is when the moment anyone sees the word .svg mentioned along with xaralx... they assume this means it is functional and then when it is not, they begin a quest to make posts about how it does not without ever reading up on the entire tale... and eventually, xaralx gets a bad / negative rap.... and unjustly so... xaralx is still a great app, even without a functioning .svg support
    The biggest thing to drive devs off and keep them from doing more is the amount of whining from the Linux users that this svg does not work....
    .xar and .svg are two completely separate formats.... much as you cannot make a pc run with a mac processor, etc. (same theory and reality... just on a different level)
    IP

BTW Dai... looking over my reply... I know it might seem to others I'm attacking you?? But just making sure they are aware I am not, and that you & I are actually on a friendly basis and you in fact mod on the Linux Graphics Users forum
    IP

AH right I'm with you now. I thought the windows version was way ahead on svg similar to inkscape. Maybe we ought to go cap in hand and beg the inkscape guys for there svg filters.
    IP

We have the filters (same as them) It's just getting them to play nice within an app which works on the .xar format that's tough
    I think a better approach... might to be asking the InkScape devs to please try working on InkScape having the ability to import the .xar file It might be something which may interst a couple of them.. as they usually love a new challenge now & then

This, ultimately may get someone working on the xara side as well... in a firece competition to be the first to solve this puzzle
    IP

Also... Steve is right... the linux version (well DidouPH's anyway) has both filters.... he installed them for us so in the event there is ever a solution... they will be right there... ready to go
    IP

Hi Paul which repo is XaraLX in for PCLinuxOS. I haven't enabled any in synaptic yet thought I'd ask you first. Save me turning everything on just to find XaraLX.
    Last edited by Dai; 24 March 2008 at 10:07 PM.
    IP

http://spout.ussg.indiana.edu/linux/pclinuxos/apt/ (main extra nonfree kde)

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/...pclinuxos/apt/ (same section as above)

these are the two repos I use and have never had any issues of not being able to get all the needed files or dependancies
    IP