Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Object Alignment

It never really occured to me, but I was just wondering about the Object Alignment tool.

If you have a handfull of shapes spread around and you select them all, open the Object Alignment tool and for "Vertical positions" select Align centrally - it will align the shapes in a horizontal line.

But if you select them all and select Align centrally for Horzional positions it'll align the shapes in a vertical line.

Wouldn't it be the other way around? Horizontal positions, Align centrally - shouldn't that align the shapes in a horizontal line and not vertical?
    •Bob

Default Re: Object Alignment

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hahn View Post
    If you have a handfull of shapes spread around and you select them all, open the Object Alignment tool and for "Vertical positions" select Align centrally - it will align the shapes in a horizontal line.
    I see your point, and it can be confusing, but it makes sense, because all vertical positions have been centrally aligned, not vertically changed. So their vertical positions are all central and the same.
    Rather like a flock of birds all flying at the same vertical position (altitude).

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

'Horizontal positions, Align centrally' - shouldn't that align the shapes in a horizontal line and not vertical?
    No I don't think so since it is refering to adjusting only their "horizontal positions" and says nothing about aligning to the horizontal. Thankfully the graphic representation featured in the function control box makes it very clear what to expect from the different options.

Regards, Ross
    Last edited by Ross Macintosh; 17 March 2008 at 09:34 AM.

I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Macintosh View Post
    Thankfully the graphic representation featured in the function control box makes it very clear what to expect from the different options.
    Yes, I usually go by that graphic, plus use the Ctrl + mouse click or Shift + mouse click to get the desired alignment.

Okay, just wondered
    •Bob